Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Hollon's Birthday

I know the details of this are extremely boring to most, but I refer back to Jake's birthday post all the time, so I know if I don't write it down here, I'll never remember it. Hollon's birth day was the complete opposite of Jake's. Hollon's was all planned out while Jake's was one surprise after another. Both were neat and special in their own way, and I'm glad that I got to experience both (minus any medical scares). The plan on Tuesday was to take Jake to school and then Rob & I do some last minute things before checking into the hospital at 10:00. Jake had not been feeling good and had woken up with a slight fever. He started crying on the way to school, and we knew he didn't feel like going. On top of all of the emotions of everything that was happening that day, we made the decision to let him stay home. I emailed his teacher and thankfully she agreed. All of the grandparents had planned to be at the hospital for Hollon's birth, but my sweet dad offered to stay at the house with Jake. We check into the hospital at 10:00 and get settled into our room (surgery was scheduled for 12:30). The first hour was exciting and seemed to fly by. Then came the 2nd hour of waiting. That's when it got boring and uncomfortable. I was all hooked up, but not getting any of the pain medicine yet.On top of that, I was STARVING. I couldn't eat past midnight the night before (don't think I wasn't eating Jake's left over Zaxby's nuggets at 11:30 the night before). So I was extremely hungry by noon the next day. And I get extremely grouchy when I get hungry. I was hungry, grouchy, uncomfortable and ready to just have this baby. Thankfully though, a little after noon, they came to take me to the OR. With Jake, because it was an emergency c-section, everything happened fast. I barely had time to realize what was happening. Things went much slower with Hollon, so I had time to soak everything in. At 12:51, I felt pressure on my chest and then next thing I heard was the sound of a little cry. Our baby girl had been born. They quickly showed her to me before taking her to get cleaned up. After a few minutes, Robbie brought her back over to me, all cleaned up. He let me know that she weighed 6 pounds and 15 ounces and was 20 inches long. She had black hair and blue eyes and was perfectly healthy. I was trying so hard not to cry, because I knew once I started, I wouldn't be able to stop. I just couldn't thank God enough for this ultimate blessing.
When they first showed her to me, I thought she had red hair!
Welcome to the world Hollon Elizabeth




With the look on that face, I'm not sure she is enjoying the world yet
In our last ultrasound, they said that her hand was either in her mouth or by her mouth. As soon as she was out, her hand was in her mouth. That whole first day, if she wasn't eating, then her hand was in her mouth.



They took me back to my room with my nurse to recover, while Robbie went with Hollon to the nursery. All of the grandparents were there in the hallway taking pictures. This recovery was so much easier than Jake's. This recovery, I was in my own room with my nurse who was awesome. We talked about our kids, she let me sleep, she gave me updates, she made sure I was comfortable. It was as nice as recovering from your stomach being cut open can be. With Jake, I was in some cold dark room by myself except 2 nurses who were complaining about working on Christmas Eve and pretty much ignoring me. I didn't know where Robbie was, I was scared, my hands were shaking badly from medicine. So the recovery was definitely easier this time around. 






Finally, once I was in the clear, and Hollon was all checked out, they allowed everyone in my room and I got to really meet our baby girl. 
Daddy & Hollon

The grandmothers - Mimi & Nana

Hollon & Nana


Gran & Hollon

Hollon & Mimi

Granddad & Hollon

That afternoon, Jake was feeling better so my dad brought him up to the hospital for a little while. Jake finally got to meet his baby sister.

First photo as a family of 4




Gran & Nana with grandchildren #3 & #6

Granddad & Mimi with grandchildren #2 & #3

Sweet Jake checking on mommy

Excited to meet baby sister

James 1:17
"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change."

1 comment:

mjs said...

Well, I just bawled :) Welcome beautiful Hollon! Lovely girl! I am so happy, Emma! Love you!!