Saturday, September 6, 2014

Hollon's Nursery

Everyone has a different opinion on what a nursery should look like. Some like them to look modern, some like bright colors, etc... So I figured I might as well decorate the nursery with what I Hollon would like. (Who am I kidding, it's what I like.) I wanted her nursery to be mostly white with some gold accents and pale pink almost white walls with an overall vintage feel. I didn't mind buying some investment pieces, but for things that we'd only use for a year (like bedding), I didn't want to break the budget. In the end, I'm happy with the result, even if it is not a lot of people's taste and I'm even more pleased that it was finished before Hollon was born.
Hollon's Nursery

Looking in from the doorway

Her bed

We used Jake's crib and just painted it antique white
After a ton of research on the safest paint to use on an infant's crib,
we went with Lullaby paints. Expensive, but a great paint.

I drew out the design, and my mother-in-law made the bumper
She did an amazing job and I'm so thankful to her

The white fabric is actually just a $5 white flat sheet from Wal-mart

There was a canopy in Restoration Hardware Baby that I loved
There was no way I was spending $500 on the one from RHB, so I created one for much less
The fabric is the Ikea Vivan curtains hung from conduit spray-painted white hung from the ceiling from chains 
Corner opposite from crib corner

The puppy print hung in my nursery as a baby



I looked for months on Craig's List until I found a wooden rocker that I liked for the price I liked.
We already had so much white in the room, I didn't want to paint it white & I didn't
want to paint it pink. So I went with gold. Robbie thinks it looks like something from
Willy Wonka's. but I liked it.

Again, my super talented mother-in-law made the cushions

Poof that I stalked at Target until it went to clearance, marked down twice.
I was so excited when I got it for the price that I did.
Robbie did not understand my excitement or the extent that I stalked this piece.

Antique cabinet from my great-grandmother's house
We stripped it, painted it and then antiqued it

The top part holds things like onesies, hats, burp cloths.
The bottom part holds her blankets.

Baskets from the Dollar Tree spray painted gold

Corner looking towards the door

Corner looking towards closet


Hollon's going home outfit
Smocked & sewn by Mimi

Baskets that were originally green & purchased at TJ Maxx.
I spray-painted them gold and then gave Robbie the mission of figuring out how to hang them.

Hand-sewn gown that was a gift to my mom from my great-grandmother


Changing table was one of the investment pieces and was a gracious gift from my parents
It is actually an island, as you could use it in the middle of a room, the drawers & doors are on both sides.
It is a piece we'll use from here on out. Either in a bedroom, dining room or living room.


The booties & ring were mine as a baby




The pillow was a gift from my mom to me back when I was little.
The quilt was my mom's when she was a baby.
So far I think Hollon approves of the nursery

No comments: