Sunday, January 3, 2010

December 24

On Wednesday, December 24, 2008, I thought that it would just be a regular Christmas Eve Day. My hormones were absolutely crazy. It had been a very tough and stressful week at work. It was my 2nd Christmas in row away from my family, so I was missing them a lot. We were running late to the Christmas Eve service. We finally get there and the Bush's are sitting on the front row. Everything was making me cry. The songs, a little boy getting sick, seeing sweet families, etc... It's really embarrassing when you are sitting on the front row because the pastor and performers keep looking at you. (Who could blame them?!? I was crying uncontrollably.) We make it through the service and then go eat at Chili's. (Note: Had I known my stomach would be cut open a few hours later, I probably would have skipped the Chili's!) We then went to see the movie "4 Christmases" which I cried some more. (And it is not even a sad movie!) We finally get home & I decide to fix myself a P&J sandwich. I'll spear the next details, but basically I had a placenta abruption. (I didn't know that was what was happening at the time.) The weird thing is, I felt no pain. I was just scared. Robbie & I quickly drove to the hospital. (Thankfully it is only 5 minutes from our house.) That car ride was probably the most surreal time in my life. It was 10:00 at night on Christmas Eve & raining. There were hardly any cars on the road. It was one of the few times in my life that I can say that I was truly scared to death. I could feel Jake moving, so I knew that he was still alive. The car ride felt like it took hours. When we got to the hospital, it was as empty as the streets. They did a quick ultrasound & then called the doctor. They said that I was having contractions, but I couldn't feel them. The doctor said that they would have to do an emergency cesarean. We had not told anyone that we were going to the hospital, so Robbie quickly went into the hallway to call our parents while they prepped me for surgery. Everything happened so quickly. In a matter of minutes, they were pulling Jake out of me. Jacob William Bush was born at 11:24 PM on December 24, 2008. He weighed 5 pounds & 14 ounces and was 19 inches long. I was 36.5 weeks pregnant when he came. They warned us that he might be slow to eat & on the small size. Because the Bush's were already in Chattanooga, they came over right away. My sister & her husband drove up from Atlanta. My parents got to the hospital around 2 or 3 in the morning. We finally all went to bed around 4:00 on Christmas morning. Most of Christmas Day was a blur. We were discharged on Friday, December 26 around 5:00. We were on our way home to begin our life as a family of 3.

Over the last year, it has been an absolute whirlwind. A week after Jake was born, my boss at work resigned. I had planned on being out at least 6 weeks, and then start working slowly from home. Instead, I went back to work (working from home) the first week of January. It was tough, but we got through it. Over the year, I cannot begin to tell of the happiness that Jake has brought us. Especially on those really tough days, to come home to his precious smile and happy laugh. For him to crawl up in my lap and smile. I know that it will all be okay. We've had a fun year of firsts. First plane ride, first football game, first snow storm. We've visited many friends & family. Even the common little things are so much more fun with Jake along. And the little baby that they warned us might be on the small size and slow to eat? He showed them. He took to breastfeeding easily. And as you can tell by his size, small size he is not. Over the year, we have watched our tiny baby turn into a little (big) toddler. And each night that we are under the same roof, I kiss him good night one last time before I go to bed. I look at Jake sleeping & thank God that his plan was greater than mine. The past year has been the best year of my life.

So on Thursday, December 24, 2009, we celebrate Jake's first year. We celebrate all of the love, happiness & memories that this precious little boy brings. Happy Birthday Jake! We love you!!

No comments: