Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Weekend In Review

I kicked off the weekend, Friday afternoon by picking up Jake from school. It was his 2nd day. He says he still likes it. 2 funny stories:
  • Jake gets in the car Friday afternoon and tells me, "Mom, I told you to NOT send my lunchbox to school. I want to eat in the lunchroom. They had ice cream today and I didn't get any because you sent my lunchbox. You did not listen to me. DO NOT send my lunchbox again. If you do, you are FIRED."                                                                                                                                       
1) He has started calling me "mom" more & more. I will admit, I was a little worried about how long he would call me "mommy". I mean, I know it is not appropriate for a 18-year-old to be calling their mother mommy. But I wasn't ready for him to make the switch at age 5.                                       
2) I had looked at the school menu and I knew he would not like anything they were serving on Friday, other than the ice cream. Therefore, I packed his lunched. Which evidently made me a terrible mother that is about to lose her job.
  • The other day, Jake & I had a discussion on how someone has to invite you over to their house. You can't just show up because you want to play at their house. Well, Friday, he tells me, "I remembered someone's name today. Bryson [sp?]. And he invited me to his house. So I can go there tomorrow! He invited me."                                                                                                                             
1) I have no idea who Bryson is, where he lives or who his parents are. Needless to say we didn't go to Bryson's house Saturday.                                                                                                              
2) I asked Jake if he knew where Bryson lived & he said no. But that didn't matter. Because Bryson invited him, that meant Jake could go to his house & play.                                                                  
3) When I had my original talk with Jake, I should have added the disclaimer that even if he gets invited to someone's house, I have to know the parents and at least know where they live!

Friday evening, our friends from Chattanooga were on their way to the beach and spent the night at our house to break up their drive. So glad we all got to hang out, even if it was for just one night!
The kids playing on the iPad Saturday morning
Later Saturday morning, we started project time. On the agenda:

This piece for the nursery. Robbie got the fun job of stripping and sanding this antique piece of furniture I picked out from my family. Poor Robbie. I'm pretty sure if he could go back & add something to his list of "things I want my future wife to have" one of them would be a love of new furniture. I adore antique furniture, but the work that goes into them is draining. But the piece is now stripped for the most part, so it is ready to be painted. Hopefully I can get it painted this week and we can move it into the nursery this weekend.

Curtains for the nursery. My original plan was to do plain panels and then have a tall valance with a greek trim. When we moved the bed to a side wall, I knew my bed canopy was going to be too close to the window. I would have to do a simple window treatment. I didn't want to just hang the plain white curtains, plus I needed a little length added to them. So I went in search of some fabric to add to the bottom.

Now, I'm not a chevron person. But I was at Hobby Lobby with limited budget, time & resources. They don't make a lot of fabric options with gold in them, that don't look like a prom dress from the 80's. So when I found this fabric in the right weight, fabric type and colors, I knew it was my only option. So chevron it was. Of course the fabric pattern was going in the wrong direction for me just to add it to the bottom of the curtain panel. So unless I wanted chevron running up & down, to have the pattern run side to side, I was going to have to piece it together to make it wide enough. Argh. I almost called my mom or mother-in-law to help, but I put on my big girl pants & knew I could figure it out. I wasn't a C average student for nothing. The curtains panels are put together & made. Now I just need to purchase a curtain rod & we can hang them (and see how much longer one is than the other).

No comments: