Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Summer: Week 10

Sigh. Last week was our last full week of summer. It has been a busy summer, but a great one. Of course I didn't do one single thing on my great fun summer to-do list. But we had a fun summer anyway. 

On Monday, Jake had his last YMCA summer baseball game. 


Then after the game, he had his first football practice. (My disclaimer about football at the bottom. Not that you care.)


They got their equipment



For Y baseball, they got medals. Jake insisted that he sleep with his the first night.

On Tuesday, we had our 35 week doctor's appointment. Everything still looks good! On Wednesday, Jake had his last summer camp field trip. They went to the McWane Science Museum. 

On Thursday, Rob's work had a little shower for us at lunch at a local restaurant. He works with an awesome group of people and we are so thankful for their generosity. For dessert, they had baby bites. I'm not sure if everywhere has baby bites, the bakery in Birmingham that makes them, touts they are the home of the original baby bite and they are the only bakery around here that makes them (and Birmingham has some pretty awesome bakeries). These things are so amazing good. Kind of like a cake ball, but 1,000 times better. There were 2 left over from the shower, so they were sent home with us. I was nice and shared one with Jake. I almost ate them both on the car ride home.

After the shower on Thursday, that is where our good fortune started going down hill. On my way leaving the lunch, I start getting electronic warning messages on my car that it is turning off the A/C, then it is reducing power, so forth & so on. The car is still running, but it is warning me that something is seriously wrong. Long story short, I end up at a Goodyear, hoping that maybe we just need to add to coolant. Of course the answer was not that easy & cheap. There is a hole in the water pump and it has to be replace. The part is not that expensive, but the labor is. Evidently, the way the engine sits in an Acadia, it is very labor intensive to replace this part. Yea us! It is always fun to get a major car repair bill the same month you plan to give birth. But that's life. I got my car back Friday and we were back on track.

On Friday, I was having dinner with some friends of mine. I LOVE a girls night. It was so fun to catch up and we always end up staying until the restaurant is literally closing around us and pretty much kicking us out. While I was at dinner, Robbie took Jake to the golf course to play a few holes. 

Then Saturday, things went back downhill. We had our tax free weekend, so I had planned to get up early, beat the crowds, go back to school shopping and then get home and start tackling projects. Robbie finds out Friday night that he has to go to a last minute city wide football meeting Saturday morning, so that meant I had to take Jake shopping with me. We were in Target with a cart full of stuff, when Jake throws up everywhere. Then he proceeded to slip & fall in it. It was a mess. I flag down a Target work (who was basically a high school boy) to let him know we needed a clean up on aisle 10. The boy looked absolutely disgusted and just stood there. Look, I get it. No one likes throw up, but something has to be done. Unfortunately I don't carry around a mop in my purse, so I was limited. Finally the boy calls someone to clean it up. I take Jake to the bathroom to get him cleaned up. I was scared he would throw up again, so we just abandon the cart and leave the store. Which causes Jake to have a meltdown because he had picked out a transformer tee shirt that we were leaving behind. So I basically have to carry my crying child with throw up all over him out of the store. Fun times. Jake keeps declaring he is fine. We pull into our driveway and then he throws up again, this time in the car. Really, you couldn't wait 2 seconds until you were out of the car? I get Jake in the bath tub, I clean out my car and send Robbie a text that basically said "man down, get home asap". Of course it was my luck that Robbie had ridden with another coach, so he didn't even have his car there to leave. Pretty much after that, the day was shot and we got hardly anything done. Which cause me to then meltdown. Sorry family! On Sunday, Jake threw up one more time, which prevented us from going to church, but that did allow us to knock out some projects. Poor Robbie. I think he was fearful of his mean pregnant wife, so he spent the day doing stuff like this....
Fun times indeed.

**Football Disclaimer**
When we've mentioned to people that Jake is playing football (it's tackle football with pads) we've had a few raised eyebrows. I completely understand, because I was one of those eyebrow raisers. Robbie played football in junior high & high school, and always said that he wouldn't want Jake to play at too young of an age. We also figured that the games would be on Saturday mornings in the fall, which would mean we would miss half of them. But as we've gotten involved in the city league sports, Jake has made friends and Robbie has become close with the coaches. The games are on Thursday nights and the head coach was one of our baseball assistant coaches. Coach Joe lives in our neighborhood and we really respect and like him a lot. Plus Jake really wanted to play because so many kids from his baseball team were playing. Robbie talked with the coaches and parents of kids that played last year. We prayed about it & we decided to let Jake try it. We figured we'd let him try it this year and if he doesn't like it, we'll hold off for a few more years until he is older. So far he loves it. Robbie is helping with the coaching, so that makes me feel better. The kids look so funny out there in the pads & helmets. They are all 5 & 6 year olds and all under 70 lbs. Trying to coach 5 & 6 year olds in football is like herding cats, but the coaches have been patient and have been so good with the kids. Jake has been tackled a few times, but he has never cried or gotten upset, so I'm grateful for that. (Jake is not an aggressive child at all and tends to be a little tenderhearted.) So far, it has been a good experience.I'm pretty sure we've lost our marbles letting him play football which starts the same month he starts Kindergarten and the same month that baby sister comes. But I don't think we had that many marbles to start with anyway.  

1 comment:

Greg Carlson said...

Wow! Jake is such an athletic kid. I'm so glad you're being supportive of his passion in sports, despite others' opinions about football. Seeing how enthusiastic he is about playing the spport, I'm sure he'll excel in it just as he did in baseball. Thanks for sharing that, Emma! All the best to your family! :)

Greg Carlson @ Head Case Company