Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Danny's Wedding - New Orleans

One of Robbie's best friends from high school, Danny was getting married in New Orleans Friday night, and Robbie was a groomsman in the wedding. Danny was in our wedding and has been one of Robbie's closest friends. We were so excited to go to New Orleans to celebrate Danny & Lindy's wedding.

Hollon was great in the car ride down. I fed her right before we left and she ended up sleeping the whole way there until we were about 45 minutes outside of New Orleans. She woke up and I knew she was hungry. Driving around New Orleans with a screaming baby in the car just didn't sound like fun that day, so we pull off in a Hardee's parking lot so I can feed Hollon, change her diaper and let her stretch. I had my cape on, so I was covered and I just fed her in the car. Once she was fed, I took the cape off, I got out and changed her, walked around with her, let her stretch. What I forgot to do was button my shirt back up. So I can now cross 'flashing some small town outside of New Orleans' off my bucket list.

We made it to New Orleans (clothed) safe & sound.  
Walking to get some lunch
Hollon's first time in New Orleans!
We grabbed some lunch. Out of all the restaurants in New Orleans, we were lucky enough to pick the one right beside a building under construction that was jack-hammering. 
Hollon was not impressed with the jack-hammering
Rob went to the rehearsal while Judy, Hollon & I got ready for the dinner.

Judy made Hollon a new daygown. The pictures do not do it justice.


I was waiting for her to throw up all over it
Because next to screaming, she likes to throw up on perfectly clean clothes.
You never know if you are going to get sweet Hollon or screaming Hollon. Thankfully the wedding party table was next to the stairs, so I could make a quick exit with her if I needed to. To my surprise, she was an absolute doll during the dinner. She slept in our arms while we took turns eating. She slept during the toasts. 


The happy couple during the toasts - Danny & Lindy

It wasn't until right until the end did she wake up and decide to scream. Thankfully the room was crowded and noisy and drowned out the cry. We took a few quick photos (because who doesn't love a photo with a screaming baby in it) and then Robbie & I walked Judy & Hollon back to the hotel.


Judy sweetly offered to watch Hollon at the hotel while Rob & I attended the after dinner party in which all the guests arriving into town would be at. We got Hollon fed & down for bed and then met up with everyone at the cocktail party.
Robbie and his friend from high school Trena
The rehearsal dinner and cocktail party were at Acme Oyster House.

Another friend from high school, Robbie Page flew in that night for the wedding.
Robbie  Bush, Danny & Robbie Page
The next morning we all met up from brunch. I have to give Hollon credit, she was very good (for the most part) at the restaurant.
Robbie B., Danny, Trena & Robbie P.
These 4 have been friends since high school
The boys went to the boy's school McCallie & Trena went to the girl's school GPS
Then it came time to get ready for the wedding.




I had a grand plan all planned out for Hollon. The buses were leaving early for the wedding to not get delayed in Friday rush hour traffic. We arrived at the pavilion at 5:00 and the wedding started at 5:30. As soon as we arrived, I found a nice corner out of the way & fed Hollon. The wedding was outside, so we were seated on the end towards the back. Hollon was content in the stoller. She was awake but actually quiet during the wedding. I've never held my breath for so long. Since she stayed awake during the ceremony, I just knew she would fall asleep during the reception. 

Wrong.

Not only was she awake, but she decided to throw one of her screaming meltdowns. Thankfully part of the reception was outside and there was plenty of open space to push Hollon around in the stroller away from the guests. And her cries were drowned out by the band inside. Robbie, Judy & I just took turns pushing her around the park until the buses came back to take the first load back to the hotel.   

Due to our screaming child, we never got a picture with the bride & groom.
I at least snapped a picture from far away.
They both looked great.

I was trying to get a picture of her in her bonnet.
Another fail.

Robbie Page & Robbie Bush

Robbie B., Trena & Robbie P.

Our family (minus Jake!)
Judy snapped the sweetest picture of Robbie holding Hollon by the fountain

This is what we all took turns doing for 2 hours
That's what you get when you take a 7 week old to a wedding reception

The food was amazing though!
Once the buses were starting to run to take guests back to the hotel, I went with Judy & Hollon to get Hollon settled for the evening. Then I met up with everyone after the reception about an hour later.

Saturday, we had the day to just enjoy New Orleans. We ate lunch and then just walked around. 

Judy sent this sweet picture of Hollon sleeping.

Don't be fooled. An hour before that she was screaming.

We packed up and headed home on Sunday. Hollon was a champ again on the car ride back (except when we stopped at a drive through to grab breakfast) and slept the entire way back to Birmingham.

We had so much fun in New Orleans and I know Robbie enjoyed catching up with friends from high school and Judy enjoyed catching up with old friends from Chattanooga. New Orleans never disappoints and we had a great time celebrating a wonderful couple.

And because I love flashbacks, here are pictures of Robbie B., Danny, Trena & Robbie P. from high school.
McCallie & GPS Class of 1997




1 comment:

Unknown said...

Silence speaks so much louder than screaming tantrums. Never give anyone an excuse to say that you're crazy. See the link below for more info.


#screaming
www.matreyastudios.com