Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Hollon's 1 Month Checkup

Last week, Hollon had her 1 month check up.
Weight: 10 lbs 10 ounces
Height: 21 inches

She is a healthy growing girl. I made sure to time her feedings, so she ate right before the appointment. She was fine during the first half, but after the nurse left, H decided that she didn't like being naked (even though she was wrapped in a blanket) and she was hungry (even though she had just ate 30 minutes prior). These 2 things combined = 1 very mad little girl. Which started her scream cry which takes forever to calm her down from. When her pediatrician came in to do her part of the appointment, she had to do it all with H screaming in her ear. And I had to ask all my questions with her screaming. It makes it really hard to hear the answers when someone is screaming in your ear. Then came the shots. With that coming, I knew there was no point in trying to calm Hollon down. I just held her & continued to talk to her. First, they pricked her heel so they could take some blood. The nurse was trying to get a drop of blood in each of the 5 circles on a piece of paper. Hollon was so mad, she was kicking her legs. There was blood all over the sheet of paper, and none in the little circles. So they had to keep trying, which just made her madder. Then they had to give her a shot in her leg. Funny thing is, after they gave her the shot, Hollon stopped crying. She just looked at me like "what was that?". And then she started screaming some more. Once it was all over, I went ahead & fed Hollon to comfort her. She calmed down pretty quickly after that.When we left, she was a happy smiling baby. I felt like as we were leaving, everyone was watching us, knowing we were the people in the room with the baby that screamed for 30 minutes solid.

I was looking back over Jake's doctor's appointments, trying to remember the questions I asked his pediatrician. I didn't write them in the blog, so I don't remember them, so I figured I'd write Hollon's down for my memory's sake. 
My Question: In the 1 month infant's guide, it states they should be drinking 2-3 ounces of milk per feeding. I know Hollon is getting way more than that from me. What should I do?
Pediatrician's Answer: 2-3 ounces is the minimum, 4-5 ounces is really the average. 7-8 ounces would be too much. Hollon is probably getting 4-5 ounces, which is perfectly fine.

My Question: Jake was a chunky monkey baby for his first 2 years. His pediatrician assured me he was healthy and it was not a concern. I fear that Hollon will be the same. Is there anything I should be worried about or cautious of? 
[Note: My worries about Jake's weight came certain comments people would make. I had no problem with people telling me they loved his rolls or how cute his chunky little legs were. But it was the people (usually strangers) that would make comments like "Oh my God, he is HUGE!" or "What in the world are you feeding that baby?". I took it personal and it made me paranoid about his weight. Like I was doing something wrong. How would you like it if someone told you "Oh my God, you are huge!" or "What in the world did you eat today?"? You probably wouldn't like it, so don't say it about my kid. I'm trying to prepare myself for those same type of strangers to make those same type of comments about Hollon.]
Pediatrician's Answer: She is not overly concerned about a breastfed baby's weight the first year. She said large breastfed babies tend to even out their weight after a year old. [Note: with Jake, it was more like after 2 years old. But he did loose that baby fat and now is completely average size.] Hollon's weight is just fine.

My Question: Hollon is still spitting up some after feedings. Should I worry?
Pediatrician's Answer: Considering her weight, no. She is obviously getting the food she needs to grow & be healthy. Her spitting up could be because she is taking on too much food, and that is her way to get rid of some of it. We shouldn't worry unless she is spitting up a cup after 3 or more feedings a day. As long as it is just a tablespoon amount here & there and it is not upsetting Hollon, we are fine. 

My Question: Any suggestions on what to do with baby girl's dandruff?
Pediatrician's Answer: Before bed, rub some olive oil on the top of the scalp. In the morning wash it off and wash her hair with dandruff shampoo. Do this 2-3 times a week.
[Note: I feel funny leaving olive oil on my child's head overnight. My BF Stephanie gave me the suggestion to try putting warm olive oil on her head and then washing it off. So I think I'll try that first.] 

Before our doctor's appointment:
I try so hard to catch her smile, but just catch this odd look




No comments: