Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Jake's 8 Year Checkup


Jake had his 8 year old checkup on Tuesday (3/7). He weighed 78 pounds and was 53.50 inches tall. He has gained 10 pounds since his 7 year old appointment and grown an inch. 

Jake is such an amazing little boy and I am so proud that he is my son. He is our little social butterfly. That boy could spend all day with people and as soon as we'd get home, he'd ask if we want to go out to dinner and invite some friends. If socializing was a sport, Jake would be captain of the all star team. He honestly loves being around people. He is a sweet friend to others. I see it when I'm with him at school or events, but it makes me proud when his teachers and other parents tell me. Jake truly cares about his friends and others. The other day, I had lunch with him and then we went to his school's book fair. A friend came up and Jake gave him a big hug and said "Warren, my man!". Warren hugged back and they spoke for a while about what books they wanted to get. We call Jake our little politician, but his heart is is full of gold. He truly means it when he gets excited to see and greet people.I tell him all the time to use his friendliness to be a friend to everyone. Not just the kids that like the same things he does. But especially those that might not have a close friend. That if he ever sees someone sitting or playing alone, to invite them over. And to stand up if he sees others being mean to someone. Because you never know, one day, he might be that kid sitting alone or being picked on. And I hope there is a friendly little person to be there for him. Jake has a heart for the Lord and loves his church and Sunday School class. He loves reading the Bible at night. He has got to be the most patient, sweetest big brother to such a demanding little sister. He loves to tell jokes (but they are hardly ever funny). Which that in itself makes them funny (unless you are really tired). Now, he certainly is no Angel! He has gotten caught in a few lies and when he looses it on his sister, he REALLY looses it. He will stare right at you the whole time you are talking to him, and then 5 minutes later when you ask him what you said, he has no idea. He has the worst handwriting and is not very organized. And he loves to talk about farts way too much, but I guess that is just an 8 year old boy thing?

But for those times I want to pull my hair out, there are 10+ times that I just look at him in awe. I am so grateful for his amazing qualities that God has given him. I pray as his parent, that I guide and lead him in the way that he needs. It is a scary world out there and part of me just wants to keep him safe in my arms under our roof. But I know that is not how life works. So I just pray God's protection over him, and that God will keep him safe from anything that won't make him a stronger better person. Jake makes me laugh. I still get excited for him to get off the bus every afternoon. I love that he still snuggles up to me when we read books in his bed. I love that he gets so incredibility excited about the smallest little surprises. I love his big heart, his compassion, his boyish grin. I am so proud that he is mine and I just hope he always knows that I love him more than words could ever express. I could not have asked for a more perfect little son to make me a mom.       

Each year I ask him the same 25 questions. Here are the questions and his responses:
1) Favorite Color: green
2) Favorite Toy: nerf guns, legos, light-sabers
3) Favorite Television Shows: Teen Titans Go, documentaries about the Titanic, anything about snakes
4) Favorite Movie: Point Break, Star Wars
5) Favorite Song: Homegrown
6) Favorite Breakfast: bacon/egg/cheese biscuit
7) Favorite Food: donuts
8) Favorite Snack: apples, cheese stick, pretzels
9) Favorite Drink: sprite
10) Favorite Animal: snake
11) Favorite Superhero: Iron Man
12) Best Friend: Braden
13) Favorite Book: Jedi Academy series
14) Favorite Sport: baseball
15) Favorite Thing to do Outside: play nerf guns with neighborhood kids
16) Favorite Think in School: Science
17) Favorite Thing to do with Dad: play catch
18) Favorite Thing to do with Mom: play board games or tell jokes
19) Favorite Thing to do with Hollon; play hide-and-seek
20) What makes you happy?: going places with people
21) What makes you sad?:when I have a bad attitude
22) What makes you scared?: nothing {Mom's note: that is such a lie! He is terrified of spiders}
23) What makes you laugh?: telling funny jokes
24) Favorite place?: Disney World or beach
25) What do you want to be when you grow up?: FBI agent {Mom's note: this is the first I've heard of this.}
Past Recaps:


No comments: