Thursday, September 24, 2015

Hollon's First Day of Mother's Day Out

Hollon started Mother's Day Out Wednesday, September 2.
I didn't take her "1st Day of School" pictures until Sept. 15. I figured that no one would be the wiser. One problem though, I printed that day's date on her sign. 
#toldonmyself

And yes, that means that I've printed the wrong date on both kids first day of school signs. 

I've obviously got my act together.


 Getting a 1 year old to hold a sign and stand still for a picture is so simple. So of course these pictures these pictures are going to be great & Pinterest worthy.  
Isn't she holding the sign awesome?
I thought maybe taping it to the wall behind her would help
It didn't
She ran off
So then I tried sitting her down
She just ripped the sign down

"What?!?!"

"Oh, I'm not supposed to rip the sign down?"
I finally gave up. I threw the ripped sign in the garbage. I went to Hollon's room to try to get at least one decent picture of her in her outfit. I sat her in the rocking chair out of frustration. To my amazement, she just sat there & smiled.

So of course I ran & grabbed the ripped wrinkled sign out of the garbage and tried to place it behind her without her noticing.
Never noticed that the date on the sign was completely wrong
So, first day of school photos didn't go great. Even my lying ones 2 weeks after school started. And since I'm finally writing about her first day of school, almost a month after she started, I might as well update how the first month has gone.

Hollon is going to the same Mother's Day Out program that Jake did. I love it. Out of daycare, school & 2 other MDO programs, this one is my favorite by far. I love the school, I adore the director, and the teachers are amazing. Hollon is going 3 days a week in the morning. Her teacher is Mrs. Kathy. 

Mrs. Kathy is basically your dream teacher for a child. She is a sweet grandmother who loves the kids in her class so much. Every time we talk, you can just tell that she is excited and she loves the kids. (I'm pretty sure you can't fake excitement about hanging out with 4 one-year-olds.) She does projects with them, she sits in the floor and plays with them, she loves on them. She is a precious teacher and I'm so happy Hollon's in her class.

For Hollon's age group, there are 4 kids in the class. In her Wednesday class, there is 1 other girl & 2 boys. The other 2 days, there are 3 boys & Hollon. The boys have had a hard time. They cry. A lot. Mrs. Kathy said that Hollon just sits there and looks at them. Hollon is like Jake and pretty laid back in these types of situations. 

(Now before it seems like I'm bragging, let me clarify, we have STRUGGLED with so many other things. Sleeping through the night, eating solids, drinking milk from a sippy cup. Printing wrong dates on signs.)

I was worried how Hollon would do. She has been at home with me for the last year. And we've had a pretty fun time. When I took Hollon to Meet the Teacher, she cried. So I fully expected her to cry when I dropped her off, until she got used to it. Much to my surprise, on the first day, she didn't cry. She was so excited to see other kids, she could have cared less when I left. She has been the same every day since. She loves it.

Her favorite is the bye-bye buggy. It was Jake's favorite too. It is a triple decker stroller that holds 6 kids. Mrs. Kathy loads the kids up in stroller as we drop them off, to help them adjust. Hollon gets so excited when she sees it. She starts kicking her legs and about leaps out of my arms to get in the stroller. Her favorite spot it the top row.  

So, so far, school is great! Now, if Hollon is anything like Jake, things will be great and then all of sudden, just randomly, she will freak out and cry when I leave. But when that happens, I know she will be fine 2 seconds after I leave. And it will just be a phase. Every year, Jake would randomly just do it at different times. I have to remind myself to just go with it. He was always fine and she will be too. Until then though, I'll enjoy happy drop offs.

And maybe next year, I'll print the correct dates on signs. 

No comments: