Friday, September 18, 2015

Hollon's 1st Birthday Party - The Party

I will talk about the actual party in this post and the details on the decor in a separate post {here}. (Because the details are really just for me to refer back to in the future to remember what all I made! I'm sure no one reading really cares to see 10 pictures of a menu card.)

For Hollon's party, we just invited our immediate family. Most of our friends here in Birmingham don't have kids Hollon's age and it is not like she has any school friends to invite. Her favorite kids are her brother & cousins, so we just stuck with that for the guest list. 

Hollon's outfit. Where do I begin? I saw a photo of the cutest outfit. In my mind, I combined that outfit photo with a few other outfits and created the ultimate cutest outfit. Unfortunately, it was just all in my head and not on paper. So I gathered multiple pictures & outfits and showed them to my mother-in-law. And asked if she could make the outfit. No pattern. No measurements. Not even the whole outfit in one picture. 99.9% of people would have said "no way, you are crazy". But not the amazing Mimi. She hand-drew a pattern based off 3 different outfits to create the outfit I envisioned in my head. Is that not amazing?!?! I'm signing her up for America's Next Top Seamstress. She knocked the outfit out of the park. Unfortunately, the outfit I had her create, was from a toddler photo. I didn't think to reduce it a little for Hollon's age & size. So I got a little carried away with the ruffles. And then I couldn't find a matte gold trim for the ruffles, so I had to go with shinny gold. Normally, I'm not a big fan of "go big or go home". I don't do big bows or flowers in Hollon's hair. I don't do pants with 5 ruffle layers on her legs. It is just not my style. But, if you are going to go big, might as well be for your 1st birthday party! So she might look a little like a castoff from Toddlers & Tiaras, but she was cute. Shinny gold trim & all. And Mimi's talent? She absolutely blew it out of the park. And I've promised her that I will never make her create an outfit from envisions I have in my head again! 





Hollon was excited for cousin Gaines to come

Aunt Lindsey, Hollon, Gaines & Gran

Cousin Marrell, Nana & Hollon
Hollon & Mimi
Hollon & Granddad
Judy asked me several times how big I wanted to make the ruffles on the sleeves. I kept insisting 4" inches. Next time, I probably need to get out a ruler and see how big 4" inches is. I'm sure Mimi was shaking her head the entire time!
Toddlers & Tiaras reject contestant 

Jake & Gran
Gaines feeding Hollon
Cousins Maddox & Gaines
Enjoying a few snacks - Hollon, Woody & Gaines
My sister Lindsey has 2 boys. They both thought Hollon's gifts were cool. #pinktoysdon'tcare
Gaines checking out Hollon's purse

And the baby doll

Both Hollon & Gaines trying to get Uncle Billy (my brother) to hold them

Cousin Woody found a comfortable seat in the pink chair

Hollon & Gaines "talking" to each other through the door
Meal time! Robbie cooked BBQ for the first time and did an awesome job.

Brother Jake, Cousins Jackson & Woody
Our family
Now time for Hollon's birthday cake...




She was very unsure at first

Maybe just a little bite
Maybe this isn't so bad




Feeding Aunt Andrea (Robbie's sister) some cake


Thanks for coming to my party & making it so special!

No comments: