Wednesday, June 10, 2015

End of School / All About Jake

 Yes, school has been out for two & a half weeks now, but we were at the beach the first week of summer and I was in Chattanooga for work the second week. So I am just now getting around to recapping the end of school. I figured I'd throw in some other things that went on the last few weeks of school.

As recapped in other posts, Jake played baseball for the 2nd year. This year he played 3rd base and did a great job. His jersey number was #1. At this point, baseball is not something that just comes naturally to Jake. So each hit he made and every ball he stopped, I was extremely proud of him. He kept trying, he learned and he had fun. Therefore, it was a successful season in my book! We really liked the head coach and his family and have enjoyed getting to know them. I am always thankful for new friendships that develop around our kids.

One of Jake's spring projects. My favorite is the letter 'I'. 

Jake's school didn't have a graduation ceremony, but they did take cap & gown pictures. Usually I buy all pictures, even if they are not great. I just can't say no. But these, I didn't buy. To me, it just didn't look like Jake. 

 Teacher Appreciation Week was 2 weeks before the last week of school. Since lots of parents had sent gifts that week, I hated to ask them for more money for an end of the year gift for Mrs. Rmeily. But I really wanted the kids to have something to give her. So I got the bright idea to help them make a little yearbook for her. In my mind, the project was a whole lot cuter and easier to execute. But I was pleased with the final project and I think Mrs Rmeily liked it. 

 I helped the kids fill out a questionnaire about their year in Kindergarten and Mrs. Rmeily. Most of them just looked at me like I was crazy and didn't give the cute funny answers I was expecting. And having them write out their answers took fffooorrreeevvveeerrr. I honestly don't know how Kindergarten teachers do this day in & day out. On the other page, they drew a picture of them with Mrs. Rmeily. 






They had their end of the year party the 2nd to last day of school.

Giving hugs to Mrs. Rmeily
Playing with bubbles outside
Last Day of School!
Excuse the bedhead



I feel like Jake's Kindergarten year was a success. There was only one morning all school year that he cried. He liked school and really liked his teacher and the kids in his class. I met with his teacher for an end of the year assessment. Jake's reading is great. He was the 2nd highest reader in his class. He scored just average in math. Word problems and abstract math are his problem areas in math. The area that needs the most improvement is his handwriting. His handwriting is terrible. His teacher gave me some workbooks to work with him this summer. Jake also has to slow down when writing or telling a story. He gets so excited and his mind jumps ahead. It can make him hard to follow and it shows in his writing. We are working on getting him to slow down, think it out and then write it down. As for the positives, Jake's teacher said that socially he is great. He makes friends easily and was well liked by all of the kids in the class. He was considerate of others and their emotions. He followed directions well and had no discipline issues. Jake's Kindergarten teacher was a perfect pairing for him. We both agreed that next year, he needs a teacher that is structured, but flexible. Jake can wear his heart on his sleeve and is worried about disappointing people. He does not need a teacher that is a heavy disciplinarian. He doesn't need a teacher that has to yell or is strict. He minds well and does great with positive reinforcement. It would be great if she was strong in fine motor skills. I pray that he gets paired with a teacher and class that will help him exceed in 1st grade!

End of the year questionnaire:
What do you want to be when you grow up: Roller coaster controller
If you could fly anywhere, where would it be & with who?: Asia (to photograph snakes) with cousin Jackson
If you had $100, what would you spend it on?: Lego Ninjagos
What are you afraid of?: Bees & wasps
What do you like to do with your family?: Play games
What do you like to learn about?: God & Jesus
What do you think about before you fall asleep?: Lego Ninjago
What makes you happy?: Vacation
What was your favorite thing about Kindergarten?: Playground
What was your least favorite thing about Kindergarten?: Track club
What was your favorite thing about Mrs. Rmeily?: When she would read to us
What was your favorite thing you learned about?: Snakes
What was your favorite non-classroom activity?: Computer lab & library
Best friend in your class: Brycin and then Rylan
Favorite lunch from the lunchroom: Chicken sandwich 

No comments: