Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Week in Review

So, Jake has been with parents since Wednesday. Usually, after being away from us for a few days, he'll start saying he misses mommy & daddy and he needs to go check on us. I'm not sure if he is just getting older, more adjusted or has just realized Nana & Gran's house is way more fun then his. He has not asked to come home once. So needless to say, he has been having a great time. And I'm not going to lie. I miss my little buddy, but its been nice to take a conference call without Jake asking me who I'm talking to, or have to change out a movie 5 minutes after he started watching it. It was nice to go out this weekend and just spend some time Robbie & I. We started our weekend childless off by meeting some friends after work. Then we had dinner at one of my favorite restaurants in Birmingham, Five. If you live in Birmingham, you must check it out! Great food & great atmosphere.
I'm not one to take a picture of my food while sitting at the restaurant.
So this picture is of my to-go box.
But I got the crab meat stuffed bacon wrapped shrimp.
OH.MY.GOSH.
I'm pretty sure this is a dish they serve in Heaven. It was amazing!

 
On Saturday, we worked on the china cabinet. I cannot be simple & just buy a china cabinet. Or even find one & refinish. Nope. My heart is set on something that looks like this. Now, ours will not stretch the whole width of the wall, because our wall is too big & I think it would look too crowded. So ours will be a scaled down version. (Okay, I just re-read those 2 sentences & they make no sense. Our way is too big, so we must build a smaller china cabinet?? What I mean is our wall is too long. If we stretched a china cabinet to run from end to end, it would make the room feel too crowded. And I've already crammed enough stuff in there.) A few weekends ago, Robbie built the base. 

I had hoped to be able to paint the base on Saturday and then work on the bead board for the wall on Sunday. With football season starting this week, I know our weekends will be very limited that we can work on this. So basically, it will probably just sit like this until January. So I wanted to get as much done on it as possible. I used a gel stain on top & I did not count on it taking 8 hours to dry during coats. Grrrrrrrrr. So painting did not get all done Saturday. Oh well.
The top will be a dark stain that matches the dining room table
& the legs will be a distressed white that will coordinate with the buffet.
 Saturday night, we Robbie grilled an awesome dinner. Shrimp kabobs, blackened corn on the cob & crab meat stuff potatoes.
Yes, I had shrimp 2 nights in a row.
I do not care.
I LOVE seafood.

Finally the base is painted.
Just waiting on it to dry, then we can distressed it.
So, while Robbie & I were enjoying our weekend, what was Jake doing? 
Play fighting with his cousins

Poor Maddox trying to pull them

Playing in the mud & creek behind my parent's house

Swimming

More playing outside
 During the week, it has just been Jake at my parent's, so he's gotten some great one-on-one time with them.
Jumping

Blowing bubbles
Robbie & I have had a great week and I know that Jake has had an awesome time. But I'm ready for us to be back all together! I cannot thank my sweet parents enough for letting Jake stay with them for a whole week. I know the fun he has had and the memories made will last a lifetime. We can't wait to see him tomorrow!

No comments: