Thursday, May 10, 2012

Meeting Elizabeth

This past weekend was one of those weekends that just makes you smile. My best friend from college, Stephanie & her 2 kids, Grant & Elizabeth came up to stay with us (our husbands were red-necking it in an RV in the infield of Talladega).

I know that Robbie says I repeat myself over & over on the blog, but I hate reading other people's blogs trying to figure out who is who. So feel free to skip this part. Stephanie & I met as freshman at Troy as Phi Mu pledges. We both lived in the sorority house all through college and were very close. I was the maid of honor in her wedding & she was one of my matrons of honor. I'm sad that we've never lived in the same town after college, but we see each other several times a year. And we always pick up right where we left off. We were both pregnant with Jake & Grant at the same time, which was lots of fun! I was so excited when she called me last year to tell me she was pregnant. She welcomed a baby girl on March 7th - Elizabeth Behrens. I was so excited to get to meet Elizabeth, for Jake & Grant to get to play together & for Steph & I to catch up. What a perfect weekend!

The only thing I regret is I didn't take enough pictures. The first time the boys met (when they were 4/5 months old), I took so many pictures. They were non-mobile. We would just pose them & take pictures. 3 years later, not as easy. We were so busy running around after them, it made it almost impossible to get a picture. And you can forget them both looking at the camera.

These 2 little 3-year-olds are typical little boys. They loved sword fighting.


And playing trains & cars

Saturday morning, I had a brunch at our house & invited our college friends in Birmingham over so they could meet Elizabeth. Since this was their 2nd child, Stephanie did not want a baby shower, but I just hated for Elizabeth to not have some kind of party. So we just had a meet Elizabeth brunch. It was so good to see our friends from college & their kids and to all catch up!
She of course needed an invitation for her baby book








(Excuse our bare mantel, I still haven't decided how to decorate it)
Kids activity table
The guest of honor - Elizabeth
Elizabeth & Lucy meeting
Mary Tyler, Emily, Emily Grace & Jude
Emily Grace & Jude playing

Trying to get a good picture of the boys
Jake's not looking
Now Grant's not looking
Forget it. I give up.
Enjoying a few snacks

2 tired little boys
I wish I would have taken more pictures of the party, but it gets crazy once 7 adults & 8 kids show up.

Our token group shot. We are now a party of 5
Such a fun weekend, spent with one of my favorite people in this world.  Jake & Grant had so much fun playing together & kept the toddler fighting to a minimum. (Funny story - they were getting ready to watch a movie & both wanted Cars 2. Grant was calling it "Cars 2". Jake calls it "Combo Pack" though because we have a 2-disc case because it came with both a Blu-Ray DVD & regular DVD. It was a combo pack. So Jake thinks the name of the movie is Combo Pack. They were arguing because Grant wanted to watch Cars 2 & Jake wanted to watch Combo Pack.) Elizabeth was an absolute dream. She is that perfect type of baby that is fine laying down on her own, but also loves for you to hold her. She'll snuggle up to you and make the most perfect little noises. It was love at first sight!  I got a glimpse of what it would be like to have 2 kids. I have no idea how Stephanie (or any of my friends with more than 1!) do it. Steph is a great mom & a great friend. I feel so blessed to have her & her family in my life.

No comments: