Tuesday, May 22, 2012

End of the School Year

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Jake's school had their end of the year program on Thursday. Jake has been singing these songs for weeks. He showed out during the Thanksgiving school performance, so I just knew he was going to rock out the end of the year musical. I forgot the most important parenting rule - Anytime you think your child will do one thing (especially something positive) they will do the exact opposite.

Do you see the kids in blue shirts? (Kids in the white were the 5K graduates) Do you see the kid in the front row with his arms crossed? (I forgot my zoom lens) That's Jake. And he stood like that the entire time. All of the other kids (except the little blonde beside him) danced, sung and acted away. Jake stood frozen with his mad/scared/bored looked. Go figure. So now I have 15 minutes of video of my child looking bored out of his mind for his end of the year program that he has been singing to us for the last month. Such a proud moment. When I asked him how he did afterwards (as he was happily skipped along) he proclaimed "GREAT!". The joys of parenthood.


Jake & his teacher Mrs. Michelle. LOVE!!!! I cannot say enough what an amazing woman she is & how much Jake loved her. I pray that Jake will always have teachers in his life that love, pray & care for him, like Mrs. Michelle.

We loved and have been so happy with Westwood this past year. Which makes the call I got today so heartbreaking. We signed him up for next year. They called today to let us know that they did not have enough kids for a 2nd class. Each class can only have 10 & he was #11. Only 2 other kids are behind him, so there are not enough 3-year-olds for a 2nd class and he just missed the cut off for the 1st class. When they called to tell me, I handled like any sane parent - I started crying. I have no idea why I started crying. I guess just the emotion of wanting what's best for your child. Last year was so crazy. We moved 3 different times & were in 3 different programs. Jake was so happy at Westwood & I felt like we were finally settled and consistent. I have felt very torn lately about some different things & so my emotions just got the best of me. I feel so bad for Westwood's director. I know my crying made her feel bad (and I feel SO embarrassed!). She called back & left me a voicemail that she would figure out something and get Jake into their program. She said she was going to pray about it & figure something out. Which of course made me cry even more for them being so loving and caring so much. I am waiting until I can regain my composure before calling her back & letting her know that we will figure something out, but it will be okay! Considering I'm tearing up while writing this, I've still got a ways to go! Regardless what happens, I know that it will all work out and I am so grateful for how caring & loving they have been to us.

Jake is spending the summer part-time at a daycare close by. (While he gets a summer vacation, I unfortunately do not!) Today was his first day. He cried when I dropped him off, but said he had fun when I picked him up. This is the first childcare he has gone to that is not at a church, but we have been very pleased with them each time we've met. They have a lot of fun things planned for this summer so I'm excited for all of the adventures they have in store for Jake!

No comments: