Monday, January 16, 2017

Weekend in Auburn

Earlier in December, we bought tickets to a Friday night gymnastics meet and Saturday night basketball game in Auburn. Due to the pending possible bad weather on Friday, both kids schools were closed. Robbie's office ended up closing as well. It ended up working out great, because we were able to go ahead & leave and get out of town before any bad weather hit. (There are 2 horrible hills coming into our neighborhood that make it almost impossible to enter/exit if we get any icy/snowy/sleety weather.) Thankfully we made it out before anything hit and made it safely to Auburn. 

Once we got to Auburn, we stopped for lunch.


We checked into our hotel and hung out for a bit. I had to take a conference call and the hotel didn't have a business center. So I took it from our locked bathroom. While Hollon stood outside crying. Glamorous. 

We went to Jake's favorite restaurant that night (Mama Goldberg's) before the gymnastics meet.
Trying to get a good picture of these 3 = impossible

Proof #2

Proof #3
 One of the reasons we wanted to come to this particular gymnastics meet, was it was Star Wars/Princess night. They were giving away free light sabers and light up wands to the kids. And you could meet the Star Wars Storm-troopers and Elsa. 

Excited about their new toys



Jake happily jumped in the picture with the Star Wars characters. Hollon stayed far away. We passed Elsa as we were walking in. She wasn't exactly stopping to greet kids, but she smiled at Hollon and Hollon smiled back. But Hollon didn't want to get close to her. (This has me very worried on how she will do with the characters when we go to Disney this summer!)

 Because the weather was not the greatest (thankfully our hotel was in walking distance, in case it got really bad!), the arena was nowhere near full. Which was a relief, because if anyone had been sitting in front of us, they would have been hit with a light saber or wand at least 498 times. This kids loved the opening introductions and music. 

Hollon was super good during the first rotation (vault & bars). She liked cheering for all of the girls (both Auburn and Oklahoma State) and would clap after each was finished.



She would listen intently when I'd tell her what the girls were doing.



But........ then we started to lose her. At one point, I looked down and she had taken off her shoes & socks and threw them on the ground. But she made it until the end and I really think both kids had a good time. 

Later that night at the hotel. Staying in a hotel is one of Jake's top 5 favorite things in the world. And he was super excited to stay in a hotel in Auburn. (We are usually in the RV when we spend the night in Auburn.) 




The hotel had a Netflix channel, so we were able to log in with our account. The kids had fun picking out their own shows to watch.

Sweet thing fast asleep

We had no real plan during the day for Saturday. A lot of our good friends that live in Auburn were out of town this particular weekend, so we just headed out with no real plan. The only thing I can ever think of doing is shopping, so we hit up Tiger Town.


It was freezing though! (And I hate shopping with Robbie looking over my shoulder 😊) So we decided to try Hollon at seeing her first movie. Jake & I both have been wanting to see Sing, so we decided to try it. 
$80 later (YIKES! Why are movie tickets and food so expensive?!?!) we left pleasantly surprised. Hollon did great during the previews and first half of the movie. She actually paid attention (somewhat) and enjoyed nachos and popcorn. She then crawled in my lap and fell asleep. She stayed asleep until the end of the movie. I was so relieved. The movie was during her naptime, so I figured she might fall asleep. But you never know with a toddler. It could have just made her extra cranky, which we would have wasted $20 for her to play in the hallway. We enjoyed the movie and then headed back to the hotel.   

Hollon loves destroying a nicely made bed

She stole brother's toy and refused to give it back



But she always ends up getting her way, because she gives us this face
 If we didn't annoy all of the people sitting around us Friday night, I'm sure we annoyed the people staying below us in the hotel. Both kids kept jumping around with their light up toys.


Then they played an exciting game of hide-and-seek. 
IN.A.HOTEL.
Hollon just always hides wherever Jake hid last




Saturday night, just Jake & Robbie went to the basketball game against Ole Miss. (I wasn't about to waste the money for Hollon & I to go. I care nothing about basketball [especially Auburn basketball] and I knew Hollon would just want to run around.)

So funny story about this picture Rob sent me.....
He sent it to me and texted me that Gus Malzahn was at the game. I thought it was the guy with the big ear sitting a few rows in front of them (they were in the top section in the last row). I kept making all these jokes about Robbie sending Jake down to meet him. The whole time I'm wondering why Gus had such bad seats for being the head football coach.

Whoops, I was looking at the wrong person.

 Meanwhile, Hollon and I were back at the hotel. We actually had a nice little girls night.

She snuggled in my lap while watching a movie

She played with her toys

And we read a lot of books



And we danced. This girl loves to dance. My very favorite is when I tell her to point her toes.


We had a great weekend! By the time we got back into town on Sunday, the bad weather had moved out and we got into our neighborhood just fine. 

No comments: