Monday, March 10, 2014

Things about Jake I want to remember

Random entry title, I know. I swear, every day, something funny happens, and I think "oh I need to write this down so I can remember it later". Of course I never do. So I'm trying to get better at that. Here are things recently, that literally made me laugh out loud.

Jake has been dying to spend a weekend at Nana & Gran's. A few weekends ago, after baseball practice, I took Jake down to my parent's to spend the rest of the weekend through Monday. Here are pictures of Jake & his cousins playing in the creek and climbing trees.


I am too lazy to go back through & flip the picture!

The other day, Jake & I were running errands and I was taking a package of baby gifts I had made for my sister's new baby (named Gaines) that I needed to mail. Jake was very curious about the package, who was it for, what was in it, etc... Here is how part of our conversation went:
Jake: Who is that box for?
Me: It's for baby Gaines.
Jake: Baby's can't have games. Games are only for big kids.
Me. The baby's name is Gaines, not games. You know, Woody is going to have a new baby brother, named Gaines.
Jake: What games are we giving Woody?
Me: There are no games for Woody. The baby's name is Gaines. Like your name is Jake, this baby's name is Gaines.
Jake: So what games are we giving this baby?
Me: Never mind.

I lost my mom of the year award, many years ago, and this story will not help me get it back. But it's too funny for me to forget. Jake has a new favorite show. "My 600 lb Life" (which he calls "Girl with the Big Legs"). I kid you not. It started one evening, Jake was watching his own show in our bedroom before bedtime. Robbie & I were in the living room, flipping channels and stopped on TLC on the show My 600 lb Life. It follows a different individual each week and shows their life over the course of a year. These people are extremely obese and there is a doctor in Texas that operates on them and tries to help them loose weight. It follows them from the beginning of their journey with this doctor for a whole year. Well, Jake happened to walk in while we were watching it. He was fascinated and insisted on staying in the living room to watch the show. He was especially interested in the part where the doctor was operating on the person. I don't know if it is impressive or scary that he was so interested in it. (I thought it was disgusting and had to look away.) He has talked nonstop about becoming a doctor now though. He wants to help people with big legs (in his own words). Since I was letting Jake watch this show that was probably inappropriate for a 5 year old, I figured we might as well make it a learning experience. We talked with Jake about why these people got so big. How important it is to eat healthy, drink lots of water and exercise. Now if we are ever flipping channels and Jake sees this show on the guide, he throws a fit to watch it. He even picked it over cartoons the other day. Again, not sure if that is impressive or morbid. And now if there is a show on TV taking place in a hospital, he asks if this is the show about the girl with the big legs.

No comments: