Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Happy 20 Months Jake!

So what is our little (big) 20 month old into?

He LOVES: outside, balls, snacks (especially fruit), running, Sid the Science Kid, playing in the car, water, wii remote, wrestling, sitting in your lap while you read him books, bubbles, his tennis shoes (even when naked. see videos below)

He does not like: the interchange at Hickory Valley Road & East Brainerd Road. Not sure why, but he cries every time we turn off & onto one of those roads. having his diaper changed, vacuum cleaner

Still a scaredy cat. He is getting braver. He was fearless at the beach, but when I took him to the zoo, a huge chimp walked towards us. All that was separating us was a glass wall. Jake freaked. (I don't blame him though, it was weird looking.) He is terrified of the vacuum cleaner, power tools that are turned on or anything that makes a loud noise. He is getting braver around people, just as long as you give him time to warm up to you. He sometimes just acts shy for show though. He insists on holding your hand if you are out in public though (which is just fine with me).

Still a great sleeper. He goes to bed around 8:30 (he would go earlier, but I insist on spending at least 1 hour a day with him). He takes a bath, drinks his milk & I rock him for a few minutes. He whimpers a minute or 2 when I put him down, but goes to sleep fairly quick. He is a very heavy sleeper. (Both Robbie & I are too.) I've vacuumed his room before while he was asleep. (I have to, see point above.) During the week, I wake him up at 7:00. On the weekends, he'll usually wake up between 7:00-8:00 & play in his crib until we go into his room or he hears us moving around. He takes 1 nap a day usually from 11:45 - 2:00.

He talks up a storm & we are beginning to understand him more & more. The other day he told me "snack", took me to the pantry, then got a cup from his sippy cup drawer, handed it to me & said "milk". That was the most clearly he has ever communicated with us. He doesn't yet put 2 words together, but does say "please" when he wants something. Sometimes it is hard to understand what word he is saying. Remote (mote), Milk (mok) & More (mor) all sound alike when he says them. He is usually talking about the remote if we are in the den, the milk if we are in the kitchen & he'll sign more if he wants more. Some of his favorite words to say are ball, eyes, nose, elmo, hello, shoes, outside, two (he loves the #2. none of the others, only #2), bubbles, apples, bananas (which is what he calls all fruit). He can name most of his body parts & make the animal sounds. He is clueless about he alphabet & letters.

He is moodier than a teenage girl. One second he is our lovable sweet funny toddler and the next he is a whiny unhappy bratty toddler. I figure it comes with the territory. Thankfully, the 1st personality comes around more than the 2nd!

He seems to learn something new every day. Does something funny every day. Gives the best sweetest hugs every day. And most of all, melts my heart every day.

Jake tying his shoes

Jake running (sorry for the sideways video, I didn't realize it until midway taping)

No comments: