Monday, August 9, 2010

First Day of School - Hello Bunnies!

Today was the beginning of the new school year for Jake's school. (He goes year round, but I guess you have to have a "start" date at some point each year.) Due to a shift in enrollment of younger children, he actually moved up into the next class. He was only a Duck for the summer. He is now a Bunny. We are actually excited about the move. I like Jake being the youngest in the class verses the oldest right now. Especially since he will have to start potty training this year! We had a great year last year as a Turtle, so I'm really hoping that we have just as great of a year as a Bunny this year.

Not quite awake yet
First day of school smiles
New kicks for school (Bad mom story - we bought Jake his first pair of tennis shoes in December [size 5.5]. By the end of spring, I knew that the shoes were getting too small, so we bought some athletic sandals that he could also wear to school [at school they have to wear covered toe & covered heel]. Last week though, he couldn't wear his sandals to school, so he had to wear tennis shoes. Jake LOVES tennis shoes, so he didn't cry any as I crammed his foot in the shoe. So I figured he must be fine. Even though I could barely tie them! Friday we went to buy him new tennis shoes [taking advantage of the tax free weekend!] & we had to buy him a size 8! I was squeezing his feet into shoes 2.5 sizes too small! YIKES [In my defense, the 8 are a little large, but the sales rep said he would grow into them.] Needless to say, we let him wear the new shoes out of the store:)

I certainly said a prayer today for all of the parents, kids & teachers that will be heading to school this year. I come from a family of educators (my dad served 3 terms on the board of education, my mom is a retired teacher, my brother is a principal & my sister is a teacher). So I definitely get to hear all kinds of stories! Please say a prayer for the children & teachers. Not just your own, or ones you know, but for those random kids that probably have no one praying for them. I pass a huge low income apartment complex on my way to work. There are always tons of kids waiting for the bus. I try to pray for these kids every morning as I pass them. I was very lucky to grow up having parents that prayed for me every day. I don't know if anyone is praying for some of those kids. So I pray for them, the kids that they will come in contact with, that a teacher will make a difference in their life and most of all that someone will positively affect their day. And I pray that for my Jake too. We are very lucky that he goes to a Christian based daycare where they do talk & learn about God. I hope that he takes God to school with him forever. And I think that is just what this world needs. MORE PRAYER! So have a happy wonderful school year & make sure to say a prayer for all the children & teachers!

No comments: