Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Surprise Christmas Present-Story

This will certainly be a Christmas we will never forget. It all started Christmas Eve. The Bush's were in town for Christmas and we had all gone to the Christmas Eve Service and to see a movie. Robbie and I had gotten home and then around 9:30 I was preparing a sandwich. I'll save the details, but basically I started bleeding. I called my sister-in-law who is a labor-and-delivery nurse to ask her if I should go to the hospital. (I did not want to seem paranoid.) By the end of our conversation (which ended with her telling me to go to the hospital right away) I knew that I was bleeding enough that it was serious. So off to the hospital we went. Thankfully, it is a short drive, and being 10:00 Christmas Eve night, there was little traffic on the road. Our hospital is a women's hospital, so it was basically empty and they sent me right up. We didn't call our parents because we figured that they would just give me some medicine & send us home. The nurses were checking me out and felt like the situation was serious as well, but were confused since I kept telling them that I wasn't in pain. I could feel Jake moving the whole time, and that was all I was focused on. I asked them to please not call the doctor unless it was absolutely necessary, since I knew it was late on Christmas Eve & he was probably at home putting his kids toys together! (I don't think that the nurses listened!) My doctor was out of town on vacation, so his group's on-call doctor came in (I kept apologizing to him). He took a look at the bleeding and said that we had to do an emergency c-section due to the large amount of blood I was losing. I was also having contractions. (Which I never felt. How are you supposed to know you are having contractions if you can't feel them?!?!) Before we had time to get nervous from the urgency in the doctor's voice, everything began happening so fast. Robbie went to call our parents while they prepped me for surgery. In 30 minutes, they were telling us that we had a healthy baby boy. Jacob William Bush "Jake" was born on December 24 at 11:24 PM. He weighed 5 lbs & 14 ozs and was 19 3/4 inches long. He was born at 36 weeks, so he was a little early, but is doing very well! It turns out that I had a placenta abruption. Fixing a sandwich certainly doesn't cause a placenta abruption, so they are not sure what caused it. We are just thankful that we caught it so early, were able to get to the hospital so quickly and had such a wonderful team of doctors & nurses. The situation could have been much worse. Thankfully, everything turned out okay. Since the Bush's were in town, they were able to make it to the hospital right away. My sister & her husband made it up from Atlanta around 1:00 Christmas morning and my parents made it from Prattville around 3:00 in the morning. We celebrated Christmas day in the hospital with the best little gift that God could have ever given us. Since it is a women's hospital and it was Christmas, there were very few people in the hospital. Therefore, Jake was very spoiled by all the nurses. His blonde hair made him a mini-celebrity! Because we were doing so well, they let us go early and we were able to be home on Friday in time for dinner! Jake continues to do well. He is feeding very well and did great on all his baby tests. We went to the doctor this morning and he is already back at his birth weight! I am doing good, too. It has been hard since he was 4 weeks early, since there was so much stuff I wanted to get done before his arrival. (We had not even washed any of his clothes, blankets, bedding, etc...!) I never even got around to packing a bag for the hospital. Oh well, we will get it finished eventually. I could not thank our families & friends enough for all of their help. They have been amazing. We are now settling into a routine and are just so thankful for such a happy outcome. Thank you to everyone who has sent such sweet well wishes. We cannot wait for everyone to meet Jake! We hope that everyone had a great Christmas and have a happy & safe New Year's!

1 comment:

Gary and Summer said...

We are so very happy that all is well for all three of you! These early baby boys like to surprise their parents, that's for sure. Hope the next few days go well and we can't wait to meet Jake!