Thursday, February 4, 2016

I've failed at updating the blog at least twice a week. Here's what we've been up to the last 2 weeks....

We organized Jake's legos. This was no small task. Robbie ended up using a tool box, so he could separate the pieces. So far it has worked great. Just don't let sister catch it open.
#someonelovestoeatlegos

 We went to eat at Cracker Barrel (don't ask why, I was just craving it) one day after church. It was the first time Jake had been there that he could remember. He was amazed that you could shop before you were seated. Rob found Hollon a hat. 
(Note: I am a freak about my kids putting on hats from public places. I am terrified of lice, so I normally never let them do it. It has to be super cute for me to risk it. (I mean...priorities) The swimming cap from last year was worth it. Fedora was not.)

The kids were out of school Monday for MLK, so we met dad for lunch and visited his office.
Sister bear before we left



And brother bear too!
 I feel bad that so many of my random pictures are all of Hollon. But truth is, Jake was the only little person on the blog for 5 whole years. Plus, he is at an age that he just doesn't care about me taking his picture unless he gets to make a goofy face. But occasionally he'll let me snap a picture of him. And I love it when he does.


Friday night, we met some friends for dinner and then went to the Alabama/Auburn Hockey game. Alabama plays their home hockey games in Pelham, so the rink is not too far from our house. The 3 older kids loved it and basically stayed right by the rink the entire time.
Bailey, Jake & Turner



The youngest one could have cared less. I had hoped she would sit in my lap in the stands and watch all the commotion. No such luck. She wanted to be down and walking around. Which she did. And as we did, half of the people would comment about how cute she was (which just eggs her on) and the other half I'm sure wanted to kill us as we walked back and forth in front of them. Rob & I took turns. 


If I can't be down walking around, I might as well stick my dirty hands all in someone's mouth
On Sunday we went to church. I tried to get a good picture of Jake & Hollon together.
#fail 


Sometimes Hollon cooperates for pictures. Sometimes not.
This was a not


Now she is


After church & lunch, Jake & Rob did some run training. Jake is running in the Mercedes Marathon in February. Over the last few months, he has ran 15 miles at school, he has to run 10 miles at home and then he'll run one mile on the actual marathon day. He has been super excited about it. (He pronounces Mercedes as "mercy". So every time he says he is running the mercy marathon I giggle.) Rob is running the mile with him, so they have been "training" each week.  


And then even later that afternoon, Jake & Rob practiced baseball with some friends, Hollon & I went to Mimi & Granddad's to monogram and then we all met up for dinner.
The kids table minus Hollon
 And then everything went downhill. 

On Monday, I noticed that Hollon wasn't eating her lunch. Then she got a weird look on her face. Then she suddenly threw up everywhere. (And she had eaten some Annie's White Chedder Bunnies for a snack a few hours earlier. Ugh. It was the grossest smell.) Poor thing. You could tell that she didn't know what was going on. She has never thrown up like that. The rest of the day, she just wanted to cuddle in my lap. Hollon is not usually a cuddler, so I knew she must not feel good. She didn't throw up any on Tuesday, but still didn't feel good. Tuesday night, I hoped this bug was behind us.

Wrong.

About 1:00 in the morning, Jake woke us up to let us know he had thrown up all over his bed. So I get up to clean him up and change his sheets. He continued to throw up that morning. Thankfully he finally stopped that afternoon, but he didn't feel well and ended up missing Wednesday and Thursday from school. Maybe now it was behind us.

Wrong.

Wednesday evening, Robbie came home sick with it. 

So everyone in our house got it except for me. And I had been around everyone the most. I felt like something was stalking me. Every time I turned around, I was afraid it was going to get me. Somehow, I managed to avoid getting it. (I contribute it to my lack of hand washing. [Sorry, I know that is gross.] I have probably introduced every germ into my body, so my immune system just fights everything. I'm pretty sure it hates me.)

On Wednesday, when Jake & Rob were sick, but Hollon was feeling better, she played a sweet game of peek-a-boo.



Ready for school Wednesday morning


Thursday morning. Jake & Rob were still out for the count, but thankfully Hollon was over it.


Thankfully, everyone was healed by Friday and I somehow magically never got the virus. I was relieved, because Friday after 34 years of working for Herff Jones my dad was retiring. They were having a surprise retirement luncheon for him in Montgomery. I had planned that Jake, Hollon & I would attend, but since Jake had already missed 2 days of school, I didn't want him to miss a third. So just Hollon & I headed down south.
Before we left
Running around to get some of that energy out

She grabbed her bag. She was ready to go.



I didn't take my big camera and my iPhone takes the worst photos.
#iphone4=flipphone
I snapped a few pictures of the dessert table and that is it.

Funny story - Dad was standing in front of everyone, while they spoke very highly of him and gave him gifts and a plaque. Dad was holding Hollon the entire time. She loved all of the attention and ate it up. Then they posed for pictures.

And Hollon picked her nose the entire time.

It was so embarrassing. She is obsessed with picking her nose. And she loves to do it at the worst possible moments. I nearly died. And now all the pictures from my dad's retirement, have Hollon with her finger shoved up her nose.



That night, once we were back in Birmingham, the kids were cuddled up watching TV.



And we ended the week at church








So people always ask us who Hollon looks like. I can never tell, because honestly, Rob & I look alike. But sometimes, I'll see a picture of Hollon and it will remind me of pictures of myself when I was that age. Judge for yourself....


No comments: