Tuesday, December 3, 2013

2013 Football Season - Week Horrible

Just kidding about the title. The weekend was actually a ton of fun, except for the last second of the game. But more on that at the bottom.
 
Sweet little Morgan was back down from WI to celebrate the big weekend.

Which makes her KK from Fairhope so very happy!

She was actually joined by both of her grandmothers
Kay & Jim (Ashley's parents) tailgate with us every weekend
Jeremy's parents came down from WI to see what the
Iron Bowl experience was all about

"This is going to be a crazy weekend!"
Friday afternoon we went downtown and met up with Granddad Jake & GG Kathy
 
Saturday: The Big Day
 
The Bush's RV tailgate spot is a corner spot on the front row. A Fox news media truck ended up parking right beside us, so they were filming people all tailgate, including several from our group.

Owen getting ready for the game

Robbie & me
(Jake was at my parent's)

Filming our tailgate crew

 

Just some guy in a robe on top of the RV waving a flag
This is actually Gary's Iron Bowl tradition, since before I even joined the group. And yes he is sober, yes his kids were there & yes he is wearing clothes under that robe.



You never know what you will see

5 friends since college

The Bush's
Judy's brother Hal, his wife and their daughter joined us this year from North Carolina.
Judy & her niece Wittley

Wittley, me & Robbie
We had a lot of fun tailgating. I love the big tailgates. There are actually always a good bit of Alabama fans at our Iron Bowl tailgates, so I'm not completely alone. We always have a good time, slight ragging, but always done out of fun. And then it was time to head to the game.
 
The good things - the stadium was packed & there was so much excitement. I thought it was loud the Auburn/GA game, this game blew it away. It was a great game and I'm glad the Iron Bowl got so much hype. Robbie & I each had a great time cheering for our own teams respectively.
 
The bad things - the last second of the game.
 
It stinks to loose a game. It really stinks to loose to your biggest rival. It really, really stinks to loose to your biggest rival in the last second of the game when you thought you were about to win it or go into overtime. I felt like Casey at the Bat after the strikeout.
 
I let Saban down. I was outcheered. Some Auburn fan had better luck supersistion then me. I should have packed an extra shirt so I could change midway through the game, to bring us better luck. I didn't stare hard enough at the Auburn player scoring the last touchdown to just fall down tripping over his own feet.
 
It's my fault. Send the death threats to me.
 
But in all seriousness (or in as much seriousness as you can talk in about a game that has absolutely no impact in your life and is played by a bunch of 18-21 year olds), I am so proud of all that Alabama has accomplished these last few years. Am I sad we won't get to play for the championship this year? Sure. (But don't worry, I'm already looking up all the spells I can cast so that FSU, Ohio State & Auburn all loose.) But what a great year. So much for that team to be proud of. How quickly people forget that Mike Price time period. Give me a season like this over that time period any day.
 
You know what the dagger in all of this is? Every year, Robbie & his parents get 4 tickets to the SEC championship game. If Auburn is in the game, they go. If not, they just sell the tickets. Every year since Robbie & I got married, we go to Atlanta the weekend of or after my birthday to shop. My birthday happens to fall around the SEC title game every year. Every year, Robbie has asked me if I want to go. Even the years Alabama was in it. Every year I said no. Shopping or football? Let's be honest, I like football, but I'll take shopping any day. At the beginning of this season, Robbie asked if I would please go to the SEC championship game this year. Alabama would most likely be in it, I've never gone and he thought I would have a good time. So I finally agreed. Anyway, it would be neat to see Alabama in it before playing in the national championship game.
 
And then Alabama lost to Auburn. And now Auburn will play in the SEC championship game. I will miss shopping to watch Auburn the team that beat my team. And Auburn will play Missouri who has ugly colors that I now have to dress in.  

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Emma, you make your daddy proud. Roll Tide!!!