Sunday, May 1, 2011

Weather 2

Do you ever plan something thinking that it is going to make your life easier, just to have it backfire? That was my Wednesday. It started with a last minute trip to New York for work. I had to attend some meetings at the last minute. I knew that it was going to be a busy week, so I requested to pile everything into one day so I could just make it a 1-day trip by taking the early direct flight from Birmingham to NY & the late direct flight from NY to Birmingham. MISTAKE! I had to get up at 3:00 AM to get ready & make my 6:00 AM flight. I knew that the weather was supposed to be bad on Wednesday, I just hoped it was bad after I left & cleared out by the time I would get back home. As we boarded the plane (which since it was a direct flight, it was a tiny plane) at 5:30, the 1st storm of the day rolled in. The lights went out in the airport. It was crazy looking, because it was still dark outside & there were no lights. There were a lot of strong winds which caused a lot of damage in Cahaba Heights, which is close to where the corporate apartment is that we are squatting living in. We had to sit on the tarmac until the weather passed. Robbie sent me a message that the lights had gone out in the apartment. I don't know which would be worse. Sitting on a plane on the runway, or sitting in the dark with a 2-year-old (Robbie was working from home so he could watch Jake). And if you have a 2-year-old, you know that they ask 1 million questions & repeat the same statement 1 million times. Robbie & I both were in for a long day! After 45 minutes, we finally take off. I land in NY & catch a cab to my first meeting. Now I've realized that cab drivers are crazy drivers, but the one I had on Wednesday was extra crazy. I thought I was going to throw up he kept slamming on his breaks so hard & so much. Once, I was sending an email on my phone & he slammed on the breaks. My phone goes flying, so I have to crawl around on the floor of the cab looking for it as he weaves in & out of traffic. But, I made it to the meeting in record time! (And I was pretty proud of myself, this was my first time navigating around NY by myself.) So I meet up with my co-workers & we have a successful day of meetings. Once my meetings were over, I head to the airport around 6:00 to catch my 9:00 flight out. I knew it was not a good sign, when it was already delayed 15 minutes. I sat down to do some work, and that was the first time that I saw the TV. They were showing the damage in Tuscaloosa & were saying it was headed towards Birmingham. I panicked. I get a hold of Robbie who says that they are fine, but are still getting bad weather, and he would keep me updated. I tried looking at local news station websites, but since I don't know how to read weather maps, they were useless. Thank goodness for Facebook! Robbie makes fun of me for being on it, but it really does help you know what is going on. I kept seeing all my Bham friends posting that they were in their safe places. I knew that Jake was in good hands with Robbie, but I was still so worried for them. I know that bad weather is scary when you are going through it, but it is even scarier when your child is going through it, and you are not there. It is a horrible feeling. My flight kept getting pushed back. We were finally able to get out around 11:00 & I got home around 1:30 AM. My flight only had 10 people on it (& that is counting the 2 pilots & 2 flight attendants). It was lightening the whole way home & just spooky. We all knew that there had been a lot of damage to the state & who knew what we were coming home to. It was a very somber plane ride home. 22 hours & 3 5-hour energy drinks later, I was finally able to crash into bed.

Thank you so much to everyone who has sent messages & called to check on us. I know I have a lot of messages to return! It has just been a very busy & very crazy week! Our corporate apartment sits in between 2 areas of Birmingham that got a lot of damage. Thankfully though, we did not have any damage at our apartment. Jake is also very interested in "power" now and consistently asks if the power is going to go bye-bye again. Our house in Chattanooga is fine too. Our house is in Ringgold, GA (an area very badly hit), but we are actually closer to Chattanooga then Ringgold. We had a gate to the fence blown in & a tree fell on our backyard neighbors house (the tree was in their yard, not ours). But we did not have any damage to our house.

It is so hard to look at the pictures of the aftermath of the storm. I learned my lesson during the last storm, so now I am just super scared. Please keep these people in your prayers. Most of my family all went to college at Alabama & that is where my parents first lived after they got married. I have 3 cousins that are all currently at school at Alabama. (They are all safe!) I also have family in Pleasant Grove. My cousin Edward lost his house, but he, his wife & their 2 little boys are safe & alive. There are so many that have lost so much, it truly reminds you of what is important in your life & never take it for granted.

1 comment:

Chasity @ Haute Mommy Blog said...

Having grown up in Oklahoma, I know how terrible tornadoes can be. Glad to hear that you guys and the rest of our AL friends are safe.