Monday, May 10, 2010

Shoe Update

Yes, I know that it is pathetic that this is my 2nd post dedicated to a 1.5-year-old boy's shoe search. I need to get a life!


After last week's post, Rob sent me an email the next morning. (Not unusual. He usually emails me the morning after a post to let me know all the grammatical mistakes I need to fix!) This was not a proof reading email though, but an email to tell me that not only was $ an object, but he didn't even really like the sandals anyway. He felt like Jake needed something "sportier". So now, not only did I have to find shoes to fit Fred Flintstone's feet, but mom & dad must agree on them. YIKES!!


We were spending Saturday evening in Birmingham with the Bush's. I somehow convinced Rob that since he missed his tee time, could we PLEASE go shoe shopping for Jake. I guess since it was Mother's Day weekend, he agreed. (He probably didn't trust me buying something without him there the defend Jake's manhood!) So we hurried to downtown Homewood to try to make it to Sikes Children's Shoes before they closed. Not that I ever visited a child's shoe store when I lived in Bham, but I knew if anyone would have shoes to fit Fred's feet, Sikes was THE place to go. We made it with 5 minutes to spare. (The store workers were very gracious about it, which made me love them even more!)


I told them my dilemma of Saltwater Sandals not being wide enough. They said that they had never seen a child whose foot was too wide for those sandals. They measured his foot, brought out a pair & sure enough, they did fit! Yahoo!! (Lesson learned: go to an actual children's shoe store to buy shoes & not a clothing boutique!) I was overjoyed, but I could tell Robbie was not amused. So I asked him what shoes did he like. He picked these.


(Men obviously do not understand the importance of a play date/church versatile sandal!)
We were deadlocked. That is when sweet Mimi (Rob's mom) stepped up & said that she loved the sandal that I liked, so she would like to buy those for Jake. So we all left the store happy! (Including the workers who could finally go home!)

Thanks to everyone for the comments & emailed suggestions! Just in case others are looking for wide shoes: The Saltwater Surfer Sandal is adjustable enough to fit around kankles. (Just make sure you are not trying the "Wee". I think that is where we went wrong the first time.) Robbie's shoe that he picked out is the Big Splash by Jumping Jacks. This brand comes in wide & double wide. (Jake is a 6.5 wide.) It has a flexible sole & can be worn in the water too. The other nice thing about it is because of the covered toe, Jake can wear it to school. So it was a win-win! (Note: Rob's shoe cost $20 more than mine! Ha!! I was the bargain shopper!)

Since he can wear the jumping jacks to school, we are retiring his New Balance. (It was getting really hard to cram his foot into them!) When we bought the NB, I was nervous because they were not flexi-soles, but they have been great. They make the NB in a wide & double wide too. We have been very pleased & plan on buying him another pair this fall.

His first pair of tennis shoes November 2009

May 2010
Now was that a ridiculously long post about shoes or what?!?

No comments: