Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Auburn v/s Alabama

I know that everyone has given up on blogging that doesn't make them $$$$, but this blog seriously is my children's baby book / family memory album / way to keep the grandparents updated with pictures because I'm horrible about texting the pics to them. I took a little break because December = craziness & running Santa shop & loosing my head. But I should hopefully be back on track and have everything updated by end of year. 

Maybe.

So way back at the end of November, we had the Alabama Auburn game. 

Sigh.

Lots of people ask me how I handle being the only Alabama fan in a tailgate of die hard Auburn fans. Truth be told, we tailgate with the best people. But even more importantly, I married into the most gracious, respectable Auburn family you could ask for. Rob and his parents all went to Auburn. They love Auburn. Not just the football team. Every Auburn sports team. Every part of the school. Every tradition. Every memory they have on going to school there, walking across the campus, the friendships they made at Auburn. They truly love Auburn. And they are not obnoxious. They don't brag, they don't root against the other team, they don't boo, they don't trash talk (well, maybe a little, but in good fun). They are classy fans that you want to represent your team. 

And they love me. Even though I don't love Auburn. And even though I'm desperately trying to keep Hollon from being an Auburn fan (which I know I will fail). 

But I go to every Auburn home game, because....
1) Even before we were married, I knew this was something that was important to Rob. He grew up driving from Clearwater, FL to Auburn for every home game. (And they didn't have an RV then. Just a conversion van that they would park on campus on game day.)
2) I love college football. While I might not pull for Auburn, I love football. I love watching it, I love following the stories, I love keeping up with the players, with the predictions, the expectations. 
3) My kids love it. They love the RV, they love tailgating, they love their Auburn friends, they love going to the games (for 2 quarters and $150 spent in concession food).
4) I love our Auburn friends. Most of our friends that live in Auburn, all went to Auburn with Robbie, but they have accepted me into their group. They make me feel so welcomed and such a part of the group. And I love that while they reminiscence on old memories, we make new ones as well. 
5) It is important to my husband and he puts up with the 100+ quirks and requests that I have. And so it is important to me for him to know that I'll do this with him. Because I appreciate all that he puts up with me. And I'm just thankful that what brings him joy is something fun that the kids & I can participate in. And it is not hunting, which would just take him away from us every weekend. And I hate camouflage more than navy/orange.
6) My in-laws are some of the funnest people I could ever hang out with. We have made so many memories over the last 10+ years. We have a blast. We don't pull for the same team, but we all like to have a great time. We stay up too late, laugh a ton, fuss at the RV every time something breaks, act silly, tell way too many stories and just have a blast. We have had so much fun and I love them so dearly, and that trumps whichever team you pull for.
So, will I ever pull for Auburn? No. Will it always make me a little sad that my children wear orange and not red? Yes. But have we made some of the best memories? Absolutely. 
And that is what matters to me.

So, now for the pictures.....
    
 Rob & I with his parents, and his sister's family


Hehe..... which one of us doesn't not belong?
Roll Tide :)
Rob's family plus his mom's brother Hal, his wife Pam and their daughter Whitley.
Hal and family drive from NC for every home game. And Pam loves on our kids like they are her own. And I love that we get to all tailgate together.
 Oh Gary. Gary is one of Robbie's oldest friends from Auburn. His Alabama Auburn game day tradition is to wear this robe. Here he is with his 2 sisters. 


On our way to the game, we stopped at friends tailgates. These guys have been friends for 20 years. They all met while at Auburn.

Now, while I'm sure you should go to college for the education, the thing that Robbie and I both walked away with, that means the most to us, are the friendships. The friends we made in college are still our best friends today. 20 years later. 

Brian, Gary, Chad & Robbie
One of my favorite Auburn couples. They have been Robbie's friends since college, our sons now all play together, we tailgate together every home game. 
Summer, Gary, Robbie & me
At the game

The weather, the crowd, the excitement, the atmosphere was awesome. The outcome was not what I hoped for, but was better than the 2013 game:)

No comments: