Thursday, July 28, 2016

Summer Week 7 - Jake's Vacation with Mimi & Granddad

So, 2 weeks ago, Jake was on vacation with Mimi & Granddad. They went to North Carolina to visit Granddad Jake & GG Kathy in their summer rental. They also brought along cousin Jackson. To say Jake was excited would be an understatement. It just so happened that I had an audit in Chattanooga that week. Which left just Hollon & Rob at home. Usually we would ship Hollon off to my parents, but considering we are paying an arm and leg for daycare this summer, we hated for her to miss a whole week. My sweet parents offered to come up and help, but Robbie insisted he could do it on his own. I was mostly worried because he had a big meeting Wednesday morning. But he assured me he could handle it.

And he did. And was amazing.

(Note: I was paranoid that he would forget to drop Hollon off because he never takes her to school/daycare. But I knew he would be annoyed if every morning I asked "Did you drop off your daughter or is she melting in your car?". So each morning, I would slyly text "so how did drop off go?". )

Of course he said everything went smoothly, which makes me feel like a big complainer/whiner. In my defense, I'm usually dealing with both kids. But I just work from home and he actually has to shower/get dressed and go into an office and see people face-to-face. So, maybe I am just a big complainer/whiner. 

But ultimately, I'm just thankful for a husband/father that can handle a stressful, time consuming job and be an awesome hands-on dad. Even when it involves 4 days alone with our high maintenance daughter.
Ready for splash pad day at daycare
Hanging out in brother's room, even though he is not there.

Wednesday night, they had a father/daughter dinner date at Chick-fil-a.


Meanwhile, in Chattanooga....

The days are a million times harder than just my 'normal' day. Especially during an audit. There are huge consequences (both for our company stability and financially) on the auditor's report. They are digging through everything. It is time consuming. It is stressful. I have to answer some hard questions. I have to explain some difficult things. I have to make tough decisions. There is nothing fun about it. But.......

In the evening, once I leave the office, I'm not going to lie. It is a nice mini-vacation. To come 'home' to a hotel. I don't have to cook dinner. I don't have to give anyone a bath. I don't have to wash clothes. I can watch whatever I want on TV (although I don't get Bravo). I can lay in a huge king size bed in nice sheets and sleep through the night without a single cry. Would I want to do it every week? Yes. Just kidding, no. But once a quarter, I'll take it. Not the audit. But just the evening stuff! 

Our corporate office and my hotel are on the river in the downtown Chattanooga area. I love going for a run, jog, walk after work. I love so much about where we are now, but I sure do miss this awesome downtown. So many special memories. 

Meanwhile in NC....

Jake was having an awesome time.
Pit stop on the way up
Cousin Jackson & Jake
While visiting, they went to a fun park and rode go-carts. Jake wasn't quite old enough to drive, so he had to just be a passenger in Granddad's car.
Thank you Granddad for being such a good sport!
They also climbed a rock wall


And played putt-putt

They floated down a river
Granddad's tube flipped over, he lost his shoes and both his & Mimi's iPhone were ruined.


Granddad, Jackson, Jake & Mimi

GG Kathy, Jackson, Jake & Granddad


I got home Thursday night and Jake didn't get home until Monday. So Hollon had Rob & me to herself all weekend. Saturday night, we grilled our food at our neighbor's house and ate with them.

Hollon is the worst sharer in the world. The girls were all sharing an almost empty bag of chips. They were each passing the bag around. When it got to Hollon, she took the bag, walked off, and sat by herself eating. She would yell if anyone walked near her. 
Stingy house-guest 


Later that evening, she thankfully made up for some of her selfish ways. Our neighbors have a little girl 3 weeks younger than Hollon. I don't know if it is because she has a 3-year-old sister, but Merrin is much better with kids than Hollon. We turned on the water hose and let the little girls play in the water with a bowl & cup. They actually got along (aka - Hollon was nice). They were so cute. Merrin was in charge of the water hose and Hollon was in charge of distributing it. 





Funny story - Merrin calls Hollon "Hiney". She will stand by the fence yelling "Hiney! Hiney!" if we are outside and Hollon is not. Corrie said one night, when they put Merrin to bed, she kept saying "play Hiney, play Hiney". Ha-ha! I am so thankful that we have such sweet neighbors and our girls love to play together! And I'm thankful the girls put up with Hollon (aka - Hiney), even though she is a horrible sharer!

The little girls love playing on the corn-hole





No comments: