Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Jake - camper of the week

So I'm wayyyyyyyyyyy behind on blog posts, but I hope to get caught up this week. Before I start updating what we've been up to for the last few weeks, I wanted to do a little post about Jake. So far, he is having a great summer. The last week he was at camp, he was even named "Camper of the Week". They select a few kids from each age group who were outstanding campers. Jake was one of the ones selected from his age group. He got a medal (and evidently a certificate which was lost somewhere between camp & the bus) and was super excited. And we were really proud of him!
Jake is on the far right end
 Jake has split his time between camps, grandparents and staying home with me. I've enjoyed the weeks he has been home with me. He is old enough now, to entertain himself while I'm working. And when I'm not working, I've enjoyed some one-on-one time with him. We've also had several hilarious discussions. One of my favorites lately, has been about him starting a church.

This all started back a few weeks ago after he attended my parent's church's VBS. Evidently, the missionary stories really spoke to his heart. One in particular about a family that started a church in Atlanta.
An exert from the discussion went like this...
Jake: Mom, when I grow up, before I move to Africa to be a snake hunter, I need to start a church. In Atlanta.
Me: That's awesome Jake. Why Atlanta?
Jake: Because no one that lives there knows about God.
Me: Aunt Lindsey lives there. And she believes in God.
Jake: Well, most people that live there don't. And they need more churches.
Me: You know that there are people that live in Birmingham that don't know about God. Even kids at your school. You can talk to them about God.
Jake: I'm just going to wait until I'm an adult and just start a church.
Since I knew he was not going to get off the subject of actually starting a church in Atlanta, I asked questions about this church.
Me: So what are you going to do at this church?
Jake: Well, I'm going to build it. Dad will be the preacher at it. You will cook the food for the church. Hollon doesn't get a job, because she can't do anything. She'll probably just be in the way.

I admire his determination for wanting to build a church. I'm not sure his intentions are completely unselfish. But I'm thankful for the seeds being planted.
 

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

I love that story! Jake is welcome to live with Aunt Lindsey in this sinful city while he opens his church ;)