Thursday, February 20, 2014

When life hands you lemons..... throw up

So far, my goal to update the blog weekly has been a big failure. We just keep falling behind. And the weather doesn't help! We had a nice weather weekend 2 weekends ago. Had we known what the week was going to look like, we would have packed in a whole lot more! On Saturday, we picked up Jake's baseball supplies and gear. Then we surprised him by taking him to the Lego Movie. He loved it!  

Then came the week.

On Monday's, Jake doesn't have school, so he stays home with me. We started getting warning of ice and snow for Tuesday. After the missed forecast 2 weeks ago, you kind of knew that they were going to over correct on this one. And they did. The entire city shut down. Schools, businesses, etc... We sat inside all day to watch rain fall and the temperature to never fall below freezing. The poor newscasters. They were driving around desperately looking for a patch or two of ice. Then came another forecast of possible ice/snow Wednesday afternoon. So once again, everything shuts down.

(Please note - I am no way criticizing the people who have to make the decision to close school. That is such a tough decision and so many factors play into that decision. And it is not an easy one and you are always going to make someone mad. I was so tired of people complaining about it on Facebook!)

So on Wednesday, we once again sat inside to watch rain. Finally late afternoon, snow started falling in Birmingham. Birmingham ended up getting about 4 inches. We live in a suburb about 20 minutes south of Birmingham. We got 3 snowflakes. No kidding. 20 minutes north of us, 4 inches of snow. Us? Nothing but a few flakes. I was fine with that though, because I hoped that meant our school would not be cancelled Thursday.

It was. So on Thursday, we stayed home to 50 degree weather and not a drop of snow to melt.

FINALLY! On Friday, school was back in session. Yeah! Since Friday was Valentine's Day, Jake's class was having their Valentine's Day party. I had the job of providing the meal for the party. We were also having guests spend the weekend with us and Jake's birthday party on Saturday, so I had a ton to get done. Since I wasn't able to do anything during the week, I was going to have to squeeze it all into Friday. But I wasn't worried. I had my day planned out, to the hour, to get everything done. I fed Jake breakfast, got us ready and then we went to head out the door.

And Jake threw up.

Are you seriously kidding me?

I was pretty sure he had just ate his breakfast too fast and was just over excited about his party (& finally getting out of the house). He said he felt fine, he wasn't running a fever and wasn't acting sick. So we headed on to school. Then as we were walking into school, he throws up again. Seriously? I'm pretty sure they frown upon you taking your child on to school when they've just thrown up in front of it. So we headed back home. Jake rested and then about 11:30, he decided he was ready to go to his party. Um, by that time, it was half over. He was fine the rest of the day & weekend, which is great, since we had friends in town & his party. But it was so frustrating to just sit at home with a child running around, after we'd just done that every day the past week.

But that's life. That's motherhood.

Is not always fun and hardly ever goes to plan. But I signed up for it. And I love it and I cherish it.

Minus the throw up part. I don't so much cherish that.


No comments: