Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Good-bye 2013 Football Season / Hello 2014 New Year!





Well, Troy didn't even get selected to play in a bowl game this year. Alabama played Oklahoma and basically went home after the first drive, so that was a frustrating game to watch. On the bright side, I did get my whole house cleaned and closets organized. And then Auburn concluded the season playing FSU in the national championship game. Robbie was at the game so it was just Jake & I watching it at home. (I've got pictures, but for some reason, blogger won't upload them, so they'll just have to come at a later date.) I was actually pulling for Auburn (which is why they probably didn't win). I wanted them to win for Robbie, his parents & all our friends at the game. I was hoping they would keep the title in the SEC and in the state of Alabama. Those were basically the only reasons I was pulling for Auburn, but they didn't win, and that's okay with me too. This has been a fun football season, but a long one. I love going to football games, gameday and tailgating with our friends. But I'm also very happy to have our weekends back.

So on to 2014....

I'm always making goals. I make them all year long, they are always the same and I start over every other week, because I cannot consistently keep them up (Every week, I think NEXT WEEK is the week I'm really going to start. I do that 52 times a year.) But this year, I am truly going to try. I'm holding myself accountable and at the end of the year, will judge to see what I accomplished (and what will just go on 2015's list). So here they are:

1. Be more consistent reading my Bible/doing my devotional. I do it in the mornings before work gets crazy, but honestly, sometimes my heart & mind is not completely focused on it. I read the Bible while mentally thinking of all the things I need to do that day or just not truly focusing. I don't want to just go through the motions, just so I can check it off my to-do list.  My goal is to absorb what I'm reading and then apply it throughout my day.

2. Join a church. Robbie & I have always been members of a church, ever since we were little. We were raised always going to church and have done so ever since. We were members of a great church in Chattanooga. When we moved to Birmingham, we moved 3 times in the first year we were here, so we knew we wanted to wait until we bought a house to find a church in Birmingham to join. We have probably visited every church within 30 miles of us over the last 2 years, and we've just not found the one. We were both raised in very traditional churches, so that's what we are used to and what we are comfortable with. We've been members of such great churches, we are a little picky. Probably too picky, as each church I find reasons why it is not the one. My goal is to stop making excuses and stop finding reasons why that church doesn't meet my needs and start focusing on where can we serve Christ the best.

3. Eat healthier and exercise more. Truth be told, we eat pretty healthy at home. No sodas, no fried dinners, no junk food. But when we travel? Horrible. Considering we are on the road so much, we are always eating out or eating fast food and that is where we loose the healthy eating and gain the pounds. And exercise? I hate it. I have to literally MAKE myself workout. But I know it must be done because I hate even more not having clothes that fit and feeling embarrassed when I look at pictures of myself. My goal is to workout at least 30-45 minutes a day at least 4 times a week. And eat healthier, even when traveling.    

4. Get this house decorated. I want to feel like it is at least 90% complete. I know people say that your house is never complete because you will always be changing things. Not me. It takes me forever to make a decision and once I make it, I stick with it and never want to change it. I can look back at pictures I tore out of magazines 10 years ago, and I still love them and use them for inspiration. Part of the problem with our current house, is it is just not really my style. Everything is dark. The cabinets are dark, the molding is dark. I feel like everything I've had, just doesn't fit. Plus, it's a larger house than the last 3 places I've lived, so I don't have enough stuff to fill it. My goal is to get at least 2-3 things completed for each room. And here they are (so I don't forget)-
Living Room: 
1. Replace or revamp our coffee table
2. Finally get a rug that fits the size of that room
3. Hang stuff on the walls
Breakfast Nook:
1. Hang curtain panels
2. Paint the table
3. Hang something on that huge blank wall
Kitchen:
1. New rug
2. New lamp
Dining Room:
1. Finish china cabinet and finally take all my china & silver out of storage
2. Get a table runner
3. Hang final pieces on the walls
Master Bedroom (this will take the most work):
1.  New headboard, change to king size mattress, which means new bedding
2. Paint the other furniture in the room so everything coordinates & is not 10 different shades of brown
3. Hang curtains
Master Bathroom:
1. FINALLY hang roman shades so we can take down those horrid ill-fitting temporary paper blinds
Jake's Room:
1. Find a twin size bed and new bedding
2. Update the pictures in his picture frames
Guest Room:
1. For goodness sakes, PLEASE let this be the year that we FINALLY get to turn that room into a nursery.
Downstairs Bathroom:
1. Switch out shower curtain with upstairs bathroom
2. Get new towels
3. Hang something on the walls
Half Bath:
1. Find a heron print that I like (& can afford) to hang in bathroom
2. Hang a shelf 
Laundry Room:
1. Hang our drying rack and install hooks to hang backpack & bags
2. Install counter over washer/dryer for folding
3. Get over the door ironing board (and actually use it)
Bonus Room:
1. Finish out the "guest bedroom" portion of that room
2. Paint my desk
3. Organize all my craft stuff better



5. Make it through the year without putting a muzzle on the dog across the street. The people that built a house across the street from us is a very sweet older couple. They are so nice and friendly and I really do like them (and their clean, tidy uncluttered yard) very much. But while they are at work during the day, they leave their dog in their backyard. And he barks. ALL.DAY.LONG. I know most people are at work during the day, so it shouldn't matter, but I am home, trying to work and it does drive me crazy. All of our houses back up to wooded lots, so I'm sure something in the woods is getting his attention. My goal is to either figure out what is making him bark & kill it or figure out how to just block it out.

6. Become a more confident driver. Who am I kidding? That will never happen.





No comments: