Monday, December 27, 2010

Happy 2nd Birthday Jake!

December 24th was Jake's 2nd birthday. We are planning his big birthday party here in Chattanooga in January, but we couldn't not celebrate on his actual birthday. It definitely puts a different twist to the holidays. I never want Jake to feel jipped or that his birthday is not as special. He still doesn't really understand the whole birthday thing, so I wasn't that worried about it this year. My mom bought him a cake (which he refused to eat), we sang happy birthday (which upset him) and gave him gifts (which he refused to open). So yep, really didn't feel that bad that I didn't plan a big shindig for his actual birthday. I'll save that unappreciated party for January!

December 2008
December 2009
December 2010
December 2008
December 2009
December 2010
As I sat in Christmas Eve service Friday night, it seemed so surreal that 2 years ago, I was sitting in a Christmas Eve service not knowing that just a few hours later I would be giving birth. That whole night still is so fresh in my mind. The excitement, concern, happiness, fear, surprise, etc... I probably had every emotion that night. I hope that I never forget all of those feelings. But since my memory is bad, I figured that I better write some of them down.
***
After the Christmas Eve service, around 10:00 I was in our kitchen heating up some left over pizza & making a peanut/jelly sandwich. (A combo that only a pregnant woman would eat. And the fact I was eating that at 10:00 at night, no wonder I gained 40 pounds.)
***
Keeping it PG for the blog, lets just say as I was making my sandwich, I started to realize that something was not right. I changed out of my lounge pants to put on jeans to go to the hospital. (I'm not sure who I thought I was going to impress.)
***
The ride to the hospital seemed to take forever. And the hospital is only 5 minutes from our house. At this point, it was close to 10:30 at night on Christmas Eve and a rainy evening. So there were no cars on the road. We were all by ourselves. I was scared because I didn't know what was happening. But I knew that as long as I could feel Jake moving around, he was still alive.
***
When we got to the hospital, as I got out, I checked Robbie's car to make sure I did not bleed on the leather seats. I then proceeded to try to walk in front of him & have him check to make sure I didn't have any blood on myself. (I'm pretty sure he would have told me "no" regardless.) The hospital was just as deserted as the roads. I guess people don't schedule births for Christmas Eve night.
***
I was in the triage room being examined. We were thinking they would give me some medicine & send us home. I asked them to please not call the doctor because I'm sure if he is anything like my parents, he is at home trying to put his kids toys together for the next morning. (They called him anyway.)
***
We were shocked when they told us that they would need to do an emergency c-section right away. Robbie ran out into the hall so he could quickly call our parents. The Bush's were in Chattanooga staying at Robbie's sister's. My parents were in Prattville getting ready for bed. My dad had just taken some Tylenol PM. Poor thing! He & my mom drove to Chattanooga right away. It's a wonder they made it.
***
I really wasn't that scared about the c-section. I guess I really didn't even have time to think about it. It all happened so quick. Next thing I knew, they had cut me open & pulled Jake (and my ruptured placenta) out.
***
I only got to see Jake for a second before they took him away, but I was just amazed about how tiny & precious he was. It is one of those moments in your life, that you just know things will never be the same.
***
Honestly, the only bad thing about the delivery was the recovery room. I was sooooooooo thirsty and all they would give me is 1/2 cup of ice chips. Really?!?! I had just eaten nachos at Chili's a few hours earlier. Could they have not at least given me some sprite? It was also very weird not being able to move my legs. That was a horrible feeling. I also was shaking a ton. Not because I was cold, but something to do with medicine. Robbie had walked out to greet the stream of visitors we had showing up around midnight & found himself locked out of the recovery room. Being that the hospital was pretty much empty, there were no nurses or doctors walking around to let him back in. So all of the family was out celebrating Jake while I was by myself trying to bribe the nurse to give me something to drink. Not fun.
***
What was fun? Finally being wheeled to my room & getting to hold Jake (shaky hands & all). Family kept showing up, so we ended up all hanging out until about 5:00 Christmas morning. Jake was like that fun little Christmas gift that your parents let you open early on Christmas Eve. What a gift.
***
Christmas Day - complete blur. I don't remember any of it.
***
December 26. By this point it had been almost 48 hours since I had washed my hair. I must wash my hair every 12-24 hours or it is a huge grease pit. I was begging the nurses to please let me wash it. I didn't care if I had to drag myself to the bathroom. Next pregnancy, I'm definitely investing in some dry shampoo.
***
Robbie & I would just stare at Jake in amazement. Every sound & move he made we were fascinated by. Little did I know how that fascination would continue to grow every single day.
***
He was so tiny, none of his clothes fit. That did not last long.
***
I remember looking at Jake, thinking that I could never love something so much. But it happens. Each day I love him more than the day before. It doesn't seem possible, but it's true. Through the laughter, pouts, smiles, tears & silliness, there is nothing in this world that I wouldn't do for my son. He is my best Christmas gift ever.

No comments: