Sunday, September 13, 2009

Sorry for the delay in posting. It has been quite a week. It started last weekend with us going to Auburn. We went down Thursday night for the weekend. On Friday Robbie wanted to take Jake around Auburn & get some pictures of him.



Back at the tailgate on Friday, setting things up.
This is Jake "crawling"
And pulling up
Setting up makes you tired
Back awake!
Friday night we met up with friends and went to a free concert in downtown AuburnSaturday was of course game day. Jake did great tailgating. Might as well break him in early, because he will be doing it for the rest of his life! Sometimes it is hard with the RV, because you can never get away from it, but other times it makes it very nice because it at least offers a slight immediate break. Example -Jake had to be at the tailgate all day. It wasn't like we could go home for a few hours & then come back. But on the other hand, it was nice to just put him inside in the bedroom when it came nap time. He loved being outside and having so many people around.
Game Day!
Playing with good friend Bruiser
Ready with his game day gear
Robbie, Jake & I with Robbie's parents (and the people who make our Auburn weekends possible!)
I had originally planned on staying at the RV with him while everyone else went to the game. But since the Bush's had some extra tickets, we decided to take Jake for a little while. It is so annoying that you have to buy a ticket for an infant! I'm surprised that they didn't make me buy a ticket for him when I was pregnant. I was carrying him in the Baby Bjorn, so it wasn't like he was taking up a seat. He was taking up no more room than when was in my belly. Anyway, that is my rant! Kickoff was close to bedtime (eastern time), so I knew that he wouldn't last through the whole game. We ended up staying for the first quarter. Jake did great! I will say that the Bush's have perfect kid friendly seats. We are on the first row of our section, so there is no one sitting directly in front of us. You have plenty of leg room and kids have room to stand. We are also the 6 end seats, so it is easy to get out to go to the restroom, concession stand, etc... Plus you don't have to climb any stairs! Jake could have stayed longer, but I wanted to get back to watch the Alabama game and it looked like it could rain at any moment. Plus, I forgot to change Jake's diaper before we went to the game, so I knew if he had a blowout, we were dead meat! (I was too lazy to bring the diaper bag! I knew we would not stay long enough to need it. It was a risky move, but paid off!)


Robbie's parents used to take him to the games when he was Jake's age as well. (Can you tell Jake was starting to get tired?!)
The next morning. Riding the tiger that the Mimi & Granddad bought him
I've made this disclaimer ever since Robbie & I met, and I will make it again. I AM NOT AN AUBURN FAN. NEVER HAVE BEEN ONE, NEVER WILL BE ONE. Robbie accepts that and would never want me to convert. It is weird though seeing my son wear the Auburn logo though. I never thought that I would ever see someone in my family wear orange & blue. I try to be a good sport though.
It was Saturday night that I noticed that Jake had some small bumps on his feet. I figured that it was from him playing in the grass earlier. By Sunday morning, the bumps were much larger and had moved up to his legs. I hoped that this was surely not chicken pox. (A little girl in his class had them a few weeks ago, but they thought they caught it before it spread.) This would be the worst week for him to be sick. I had a very hard and very important audit at work the upcoming week. Plus I felt like the worst mom that my child had been at the tailgate with a virus! Thankfully we were outside & Jake is too young to play or really share toys with the other kids. None of them were ever too close to Jake, but I still can't help but feel bad! We kept our fingers crossed that the bumps would go away! We were supposed to go to my niece, Marrell's 1st birthday party in Prattville. We headed to Prattville, but had Marrell's mom (my sister-in-law who is a nurse) look at Jake's legs. Leigh Ann felt like that it was chicken pox. So Robbie stayed home with Jake while I went to the party. (I made sure to disinfect and to not hold any children.) The party was lots of fun, and I just hate that Jake had to miss it. He missed his cousin Marrell! Happy Birthday Marrell!!

The birthday girl
Blowing out the candle on her cake
Upset that she stuck her foot in the cake
Robbie & I felt like on Monday, if it was chicken pox, then he would be broken out in bumps, but if it was an allergic reaction, they would be gone. Monday morning (Labor Day) the bumps were worse on his legs, but had not spread. He had a few very light bumps on his stomach, but they disappeared as the day went on. I had to go into the office, so Robbie hung out with Jake at home. A pretty uneventful Labor Day! Robbie's sister (who is also a nurse) came over to look at Jake & she too thought for sure that it was chicken pox. We decided that Robbie would stay out with Jake on Tuesday to take him to the doctor. That was such a hard day. As a mother, you are supposed to be with your child when they are sick. It is hard not only being a working mom, but a 50+ hours a week working mom. But to have to leave to go to work when your baby is sick is just the worse & most guilty feeling. (Disclaimer - all moms, stay-at-home or office moms are working moms!) Thankfully, Jake is such a trooper. He could have made me feel so guilty (more than I already was). But he wasn't acting sick at all. He was excited to get to stay at home & play. My super sweet father-in-law worked from Chattanooga Wednesday & Thursday, so he was able to watch Jake those 2 days. Thank you so much Chuck!! My auditors were leaving Thursday night, so I was able to work from home & stay with him on Friday. (Which, by the way, the audit went good. Thank you to those of you who were praying for me and for all of the kind words and sweet messages.)
Jake has started to pull up on things. Here he is pulling up on the coffee table.
And on the bench
We still don't know if Jake really had the chicken pox. They were only on his legs. He never ran a fever and never scratched at them. A few of them scabbed over, but most have just disappeared. Plus he was in a great mood all week. To play it safe, we decided to skip this weekend's ball game & stayed in Chattanooga.

Robbie promises that he will remind Jake when he is older that he made him miss an Auburn home game. And an SEC one at that! Here the boys are on Week 2 Game Day. (Note: Jake was wearing his Troy outfit earlier in the day. Before I could take a picture of him and before the game had even started though, Jake had a blowout & it got on his onesie. Guess I should have realized that it was a sign for the way that the game turned out. We had to change channels by half time. It was just too hard to watch. Plus I was tired of Tebow love-fest.) Now I know that probably my whole side of the family & friends are yelling where is the Alabama gear?!? Jake did eat his snack off of an Alabama plate. Robbie & I agreed not to buy Jake anything Alabama or Auburn. Only Troy. But what our families did, was okay. Somehow, Jake has ended up with lots of Auburn clothes, but no Auburn accessories. And we have lots of Alabama accessories, but no Bama clothes. So he really needs a particular aunt who graduated from Bama to buy her nephew some gear!!
He lost a puff on his nose

Jake eating puffs. He gobbles them up. Literally!

This is how we now find him when he wakes up
Or like this. We lowered his mattress & took down one side of his bumper pad.
This is Jake throwing a tamtrum. He cries very dramatically, and puts his head down. It is completely fake though. He stops immediately when you pick him up and there are no tears.
I end this very long posts with 2 videos. The first one is of Jake giving a high five. (Okay, I know that it is a stretch, but he is kind of giving a high five!!) The last one is the most precious sound that he makes, his laughter. (Please ignor the horrible sound I am making that makes him laugh.) Jake loves to laugh. (Please also ignor the mess in his room. We were in the progress of lowering his mattress.) He is very tickleish and easily laughs if you just make a funny face at him. I can have the hardest longest day at work, but when I come home to that precious laugh, it is a reminder of what is truly important in my life and what makes me happy.

1 comment:

mjs said...

how precious! jake is a doll and i can't wait to meet him someday. you and robbie are such sweet parents!