Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Catching Up

We actually had a pretty low key weekend. Friday night we went out to dinner with friends, Saturday night we went over to Andy & Margaret's and they cooked out for everyone. Sunday we went to Charley & Misa's baby shower. It was a great weekend spent hanging out with friends. Unfortunately, we didn't get any pictures from the weekend!


I realized that I never posted pictures of Jake's finished nursery. (I just finished his shelves this past week!)



Jake's gotten his 2nd tooth!
Playing after his bath


Jake & I started our normal routine tonight. I gave him a bath, rocked him a little, but I always try to put him to sleep while he is still awake. While catching up with friend's blogs earlier, I noticed that several mentioned taking moments to "break the rules" and spend extra time holding your child. I just couldn't help it tonight. I rocked Jake until he was fast asleep. As he was sleeping so soundly on my shoulder, I could see his sweet little face. A rush of emotion came over me. I wish that I could just hold that moment & feeling in my memory forever. Sometimes I just feel like my life is in fast forward. It was such a surprise to find out we were expecting so shortly after our wedding. Then Jake was born 4 weeks early. He was born during an extremely busy & stressful time of my work. Work has only gotten busier & more stressful each month. Most days, I just feel like I can't keep my head above water. It seems overwhelming at times dealing with the pressure of work, the guilt of not staying home with my son and trying to fit 48 hours of errands and work into 1 day. However, looking down at that moment, at that sweet baby's face, none of that mattered. All that mattered to me was holding that moment for as long as possible. I rocked him for over an hour. I just feel so lucky that God gave me such a blessing that I didn't even realize my life was missing. I was half crying, half praying, but so incredibly thankful. Jake is growing so quickly and each month is a complete change. It is my goal to slow down and just hold those moments as often as possible, because it seems like they are gone so quickly.

1 comment:

Gary and Summer said...

What a sweet post. Enjoy each minute for what it is, because it is soon gone as you say! You are a wonderful mother, Emma.