Sunday, March 27, 2011

Jake's Big Boy Room

I love Jake's nursery & have been very happy with him in the crib. Jake seems to like the crib too. He goes to bed easily and plays in the crib when he gets up. He has never tried to get out and I like him being caged up. He could sleep in the crib until he is 5 for all I care. I feel safe him being in it. I looked at many cribs before picking out the one we did. It's a conversion crib (goes from crib to toddler bed to full size bed). Now I don't think that conversion cribs are the best thing since sliced bread (especially when you calculate in the cost of the $150 toddler bed conversion kit & a plastic toddler bed is cheaper then that) but, for a boy, this was my favorite bed and I thought that it would make a cute toddler bed and handsome full size bed. I've been in no hurry to convert to a toddler bed. I just like the feeling of him contained in his crib (and he seems to like it too). This is what his bedroom looked like when we left Chattanooga:Whenever we do get ready to convert to a toddler bed, it will look something like this:





I love Jake's crib bedding. I picked out the pattern & material and it was handmade by my special aunt and monogrammed. I loved that the color was so soft against the dark wood. But, I knew when we converted to a toddler bed, I'd probably have to pick out bedding that was more for a toddler. I imagined something like this:
Well, we moved to the corporate apartment, which is furnished. The guest room had 2 twin beds in it, so there was no room for a crib. So we just set up Jake's pac-n-play. It was a tight squeeze for him, but he didn't seem to mind. A few weekends ago when I was out of town, I accidentally forgot the pac-n-play at Amanda's house. Hum. My father-in-law travels to Hattiesburg once a month, so I knew that the pac-n-play would only be out of commission a few weeks. Not really wanting to spend $50 on bed railings for only a few weeks, Robbie came up with the idea to put one of the mattresses on the floor. So, in all of it's glory, I present to you Jake's first big boy room.







It is right out of Pottery Barn Kids. I don't know which is better. The fact that we have poor man's bunk beds or the fact that our son is sleeping on the floor. Below is a close up of the lovely bedding. It is called poo-poo brown stripe and is soft as a sheet of cardboard.


So how did he do? Well, let's just say that we have walked in to find this...


(he got into my craft cabinet)

And this...


(emptying out all of the drawers & trying to put on the clothes)

And this...

So in summary, Jake is loving it. Robbie & I do not love it. He will definitely be sleeping in a crib until he is 5.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Instead of bed rails, stick a pool noodle under the fitted mattress. I got the idea out of parents magazine and used it for both my kids.

Gary and Summer said...

this post had me cracking up ... love it!